Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

planning my first build

• Please log in to reply

j0holden

j0holden

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Im planning on building a computer to update my old dell, and decided to post on here in hopes of advice/ compatibility issues.
Any input would be appreciated. this computer will be used to play blu-ray, games, and also work (standard work processing, etc)

here are the components im looking at:

antec p182 ATX mid tower case

asus 20x sata DVD burner
lite-on blu-ray sata dvd-rom

(2) western digital caviar se16 400gb 7200rpm

evga lga 775 nvidia nforce 750i ftw sli atx motherboard

intel core 2 duo E8400 3.0ghz 65W processor

OCZ reaper HPC edition 4gb (2x2gb) ddr2 800
i have another 2gb kit that will transplant from my current computer (ddr2 800 also)

thermaltake w0106Ru 700W psu

(2) evga geforce 8800gt 512mb 256-bit gddr3 video cards (for sli)

dell 22" monitor.

I am trying to keep the price at the sub 2000 range.
Any thoughts, suggestions? Would i be able to put in a sound card that i have extra? I am not sure how the sli will affect the space on the mobo.
Im planning to run windows vista ultimate 64 bit edition, and set the hard drives up in raid, possibly raid 1.

Thanks in advance

Edited by j0holden, 17 May 2008 - 04:53 PM.

Advertisements

max-a-million

max-a-million

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi mate. i am liking the setup alot. one suggestion though, especially if you are going to go with a SLI setup. DO NOT go with a mid tower case. you will definitely need a full size case for 2 reasons, 1. space and 2. cooling.

i would suggest the antec 900 or somehting similar. have a look on the thermltake website, they have some nice cases also.

also the CPU, it might be worth looking at a quad core cpu. it will provide about a 25% increase in perfromance over a dual core. as far as im concern, for a small increase in price you cant go past the Q9450 (or the Q9600 for $100 cheaper)

hope that helps a little

max-a-million

Edited by max-a-million, 18 May 2008 - 01:22 AM.