Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ROOT/IMAGE/0001 will not uninstall

• Please log in to reply

Millowena

Millowena

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Good afternoon!

Some time ago, I let a visitor use her USB thumb drive on my machine. Since that time, I have been unable to use my UMAX scanner (have since uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times, (the height of insanity?) without success.) Any way, there now remains an inoperable un defined ROOT/IMAGE?0001 device that can only be disabled, not removed, deleted, or uninstalled.

I even went into the registry and tried to delete it and the driver from there, but it would not allow deletion. I would like to set up my scanner again and use a USB "thumb drive" but it appears this device is in the way.

Suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Millowena

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Boot the computer in Safe Mode and try to uninstall the device. Look for it in "device manager" and in "faxes and printers". Please do not touch the registry because this can complicate matters.

Another option is to restore the computer to a day earlier then the installation of the unwanted device.

Millowena

Millowena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks, Skeptic!

I'm not sure when the offending thumb drive was added, but it was around the first of this year. Will it restore back that far? I'll try it and see what transpires..

Re start up in safe mode, it's been so long since I did that, how does one do it? Also, since the problem is with "IMAGE", shouldn't I be looking around in that area?

I'll give them both a try.. Sure beats fooling around with the registry!

Thanks!

Millowena

Millowena

Millowena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello again!

Googled safemode and got it done. I still get the message that says it cannot uninstall it because it may prevent computer start up. Good try! No joy.. :-(

Did a restore and got the message that the system cannot be restored to the selected restore point. After several unsuccessful attempts to several different restore points, I googled the problem and found the "fix" was not a fix for the restore problem, since it erases all the restore points. Corrupted file?

Anyway, after two good runs at it I'm back to square one except the restore archive has now been deleted.

Other suggestions would be greatfully appreciated!

Thanks!

Millowena

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
How are you trying to uninstall. Please write down the places in which you look for the device to uninstall it. Meanwhile go to Device Manager and expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Look for "mass storage device" and if you find it right-click the item and click "uninstall". Reboot.

Where do you locate "ROOT/IMAGE?0001 device"? Is it in My Computer?

Go to Control Panel > Administrative tools > computer management > disk management. Do you see the drive's "phantom" in the list of disks/partitions?

Do you have a "thumb drive", or can you borrow one? If yes, insert it into a USB slot. Does it show up? f yes, remove it by using the special icon in Task Manager and report if ROOT/IMAGE?0001 device disappeared.

Millowena

Millowena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Skeptic!

The only place I know how to look is in my computer properties, Device Manager. The device manager is where I try to uninstall it, also. The problem does not show in the USB list. All of the items appear normal there. I have nevertheless uninstalled "Mass Storage Device" in the USB list in accordance wit your instructions. Will it reinsatll when I reconnect my external HDD?

The problem only shows in Device manager-Imaging Devices. "Unknown Device". I can disable and enable it but cannot uninstall it.

I right click on "My Computer" Properties, hardware, Device manager. It is the item above Keyboards and below IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

In Administrative tools Disk Management , I see a "blank" partition BASIC FAT Healthy EISA and the next line is C: Partition NTFS . healthy (system). There are no other entries.

I have a thumb drive and when I insert it in the USB port, it is not recognized by the computer. I cannot find it in Explorer, either.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Millowena

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you reboot and connect your USB external drive it should work without any problem. XP will reinstall the driver.

Please go to device manager > imaging devices. Click the + sign and double click the item inside. In the menu that opens up go to Driver and chose to uninstall it. If that doesn't help try to roll it back. Please report who is the "driver provider".

Millowena

Millowena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Skeptic!Driver provider.. Unknown
Driver date Not available
Driver version not available
Driver signerNot digitally signed

Driver details.. No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device
Cannot uninstall it "may be required to start the computer"
Update.. No driver for this device
Roll back no driver required for this device

Thanks!

Millowena

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to run a search for this file. Click Start > Search > all files and folders. At the top line type the file's name or part of it. Click More Advanced Option and check all the items. Run a search.

We want to find where the file is located and then apply various removal tools.

Millowena

Millowena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Good morning!

I ran the search with the following results..

All but 3 hits are in the Geekstogo folder. The other 3 are in the google search folder.

Nothing that looks promising?

Millowena

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi Millowena.

I suggest that you move to the malware forum. Use the link in my list below and take all the preliminary steps. If the problem is still there then start a new topic and place a HJT log according to the instructions. Please mention in your new topic the present one.

Millowena

Millowena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Good afternoon, Skeptic!

Nothing is easy, is it?

I'm still here, because I have not copleted all of the scans.

Malwarebytse will not download because my security settings aren't appropriate. How do I fix that?

Thanks!

Millowena

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Skip Malwarebytes and start a new topic with HJT log.

Millowena

Millowena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Shall I run the rest of the scans before running HJT? Superantispy is about 1/5th through and has about 215 hits so far.

Thanks!

Millowena

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do whatever is possible. If you run Superantispyware then Malwarebyte is not that important.