Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ROOT/IMAGE/0001 will not uninstall

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
another option to try...
try this... it clears out all the USB device parameters in the registry and allows Windows to rebuild them.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines (copy and paste)and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- cut before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a

Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

Edited by happyrck, 20 May 2008 - 02:46 PM.

Advertisements

Millowena

Millowena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Happyrck!

I've made the file, and ran it as instructed... but... If I unplug all the USB devices, printer, and the mouse, I don't know how to run windows to access the device manager without the mouse.

I did check the Device manager before unplugging the printer and found the mouse (it appears to be OK) and several printers (I have only one) Showing are:
DOT4HPZi2, Photosmart 7700 series(DOT4)
DOT4Print HPZ12 Photosmart 7700series (dot4PRT)and
DOT4USB HPZ12 Photosmart 7700 series (dot4 USB)
When I unplugged the printer, all of the above listings disappeared.

ALSO, under imaging devices UNKNOWN DEVICE is still there and shows a ! in a yellow circle.
ALSO, I found while messing around with the USB plugs, that the thumb driveworks when I plug it into the back of the machine. Apparently, only the FRONT access USB port is inoperable.
Please advise how to handle the missing mouse problem when I go to do the rest of the procedure, if it's necessary to do the rest of the procedure.

Thanks!

Millowena .

Millowena

Millowena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Again!

I forgot to mention.. There were no storage devices.

Millowena

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have or can you borrow a PS/2 mouse for the procedure....
and what about ROOT/IMAGE?0001

Millowena

Millowena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Skeptic!

I ran the scams except the one that would not download. Active scan took over 4 hours to run, finished, and came back "you are infected". When I attempted to fix the problem, it could not find my registration and the Repair screen disappeared. DRAT!!! :-(((

Shall I run it again?

Also, Happyrck posted to this thread and I did what he recommended as closely as possible, without getting rid of the offending UNKNOWN. I did, however discover that the thumb drive works in the back USB ports so it appears the problem is related only to the front USB port.

Thanks!

Millowena

Millowena

Millowena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'll see if I can borrow a PS2 mouse.

ROOT\IMAGE\0001 is the cause of all this grief. It is associated with the Imaging Devices, Unknown properties details. It is the thing I've been trying to uninstall. I just realized those were BACK slashes... ;-( I'll do another search for theis and see what comes up. Stay tuned.. I'll be back.

I tried unplugging the front USB port to see if the problem would go away. No Joy... The port is involved with the power switch, sound, and USB port all in a card on the front inside of the machine. When I unplug it from the MB, I cannot start the computer. :-(( Dell strikes again!

Millowena

Millowena

Millowena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well, that didn't take long.. ROOT\IMAGE\0001 will not allow a search

Millowena

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Well, that didn't take long.. ROOT\IMAGE\0001 will not allow a search Mllowena

thats why I'm trying to uninstall all the usb controlers..
you will still need to take a pass thru the malware forum..

Edited by happyrck, 21 May 2008 - 07:05 AM.

Millowena

Millowena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Happyrck!

OK... I've deleted everything USB in sight. I was finishing up the storage volumes. About half of them were deleted when I accidentally closed the Device Manager. When I reopened it, the entire list of storage volumes was gone...? I reran FIX and reopened Device manager, but still no storage volumes.

I tried again to uninstall the Imaging Device, Unknown device with the exclamation yellow circle. No JOY ;-(( I rebooted twice and tried to delete it again.. Still no joy.. :-(

Reconnected the Mouse and printer. Both appear to be working properly :-))))

Where do we go from here?

THanks!

Millowena

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have seen quite a few cases in which front USB connectors do not work due to mechanical damage, loose connections or whatever. Anyway, it's good you discovered this so we know not to include the front connections in the present case.

My approach is that as long as there is malware in the computer you can't be sure how repair procedures will react. We tried everything that I consider straight forward without success. Malware scans are not running well but indicate to infections. There is no point carrying on as we do without making sure, first, that the computer is clean. Thumb memories are an ideal source of passing malware between computers, reminding me the large floppies of old that kids passed among themselves infecting computers in chain reactions.

Please continue with the malware forum.

Advertisements