Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CHKDSK has no /F switch

• Please log in to reply

jalway

jalway

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello,

I'm using my recovery console and now want to run chkdsk with the /r and /f switches. However, to my surprise, chkdsk is telling me there is no /F parameter. It tells me "Parameter is not valid". I did a /? for help, and it only has /P and /R switches.

I did a web search and could find no one else with this issue.

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition. The OS is not working, so I'm in the process of trying to fix it.

Is this a bug?

Thanks,
...John

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello jalway...

It's not a bug. Some configurations will not allow the /f switch. However, the /f command is implied when using the /r switch...so running chkdsk /r will accomplish the same thing as chkdsk /f...and then try to recover the data in any bad clusters it finds. It's actually a more thorough check and is what I usually recommend running, anyway.

wannabe1

jalway

jalway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for the feedback, wannabe1.

Btw, I ran "chkdsk /r" and it immediately came back with:

"The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"

Does that mean the disk is shot or the OS is shot?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's not a good sign and is usually a pretty good indicator that your HDD has system data written to bad sectors that cannot be recovered. Time for a new HDD... :)

That said, if you still have data on the drive that you need to recover, once you have a new system drive in place, you can slave the old drive and copy the data to the new installation.

jalway

jalway

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm not really surprised at this point. :)

I'm definitely going to slave the HD when I get the new one.

Thanks for your help! :)

...John

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure. :)

Sorry it couldn't have been better news.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
CHKDSK /F only works when you run it in Windows from the DOS prompt. It is valid, it just only applies during Windows, ironically the bit that you need to get into to run the command... It doesn't work from the recovery console.