Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM and PSU

• Please log in to reply

sounder7

sounder7

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a eVGA 750i FTW MoBo on order. The CPU will be the Q9450. (which I will OC slightly). I know the 8000 Redlines 2x2GB DDR2 1000 are very hot right now. I want some Ram that will be fast, that I don't have to OC to max to be fast. I would like to stick to 2x2GB because if I go to 64 Bit in the future, then I will add 4 more GB of the same Ram. Also I will be running 2 hard drives now and SLI later. My PSU pick is the SilverStone Strider ST75F 750W ATX 12V w/120mm fan SLI ready. Some say the Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX 12V 40A would do. Is this cutting it too close? I would like to stay modular if possible.

Edited by sounder7, 21 May 2008 - 04:37 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Even windows vista will not see more than around 3.2 gigs of memory, and will not use any more than that. You will have to wait until Microsoft decides that computers need more memory before it will use any more than that.

SRX660

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Even windows vista will not see more than around 3.2 gigs of memory, and will not use any more than that. You will have to wait until Microsoft decides that computers need more memory before it will use any more than that.

What sort of a comment is this?
All versions of 64-bit windows will see at a minimum 8Gb of memory, "Higher" versions of Vista can see up to 128Gb of memory.
All 32-bit versions of Windows have a 4Gb limit, set back in the day when it was considered a luxury to have 64Mb of the stuff.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

All versions of 64-bit windows will see at a minimum 8Gb of memory, "Higher" versions of Vista can see up to 128Gb of memory.
All 32-bit versions of Windows have a 4Gb limit, set back in the day when it was considered a luxury to have 64Mb of the stuff.

Well said Neil. One thing to add is that the 4GB limit on 32-bit operating systems is an arithmetical limitation, rather than an arbitrary one. 2^32B = 4294967296B = 4096MB = 4GB.

To the OP, the Silverstone PSU you are thinking of is a very good one. I would definately go with it. As for RAM, the NVIDIA chipset allows you to unlock the RAM speed from the FSB speed, so high-speed RAM isn't that important when overclocking. I would go with some good DDR2-800 RAM and save yourself some money. For example, this is a good, yet cost-effective set.

sounder7

sounder7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Seems there is some confusion in my original post.It has been edited. I did not mean that I needed 4GB precisely. I know that Vista 32 Bit will only read about 3.2GB of the Ram, depending on your system. What I was asking is advise on what is a good make of fast Ram to get without too much OCing. I was asking if the Redlines would be suitable without redlining them. I will be doing Gaming. I picked 2x2GB because I might at a later date go to 64 BIT which is 8GB and up as Neil Jones as stated. Then I would add 2x2GB more of the same Ram. The other Question is about my picks on the power supplies. I hope this clarifies my post more clearly. :)

Edited by sounder7, 20 May 2008 - 03:48 PM.

sounder7

sounder7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Well said Neil. One thing to add is that the 4GB limit on 32-bit operating systems is an arithmetical limitation, rather than an arbitrary one. 2^32B = 4294967296B = 4096MB = 4GB.

To the OP, the Silverstone PSU you are thinking of is a very good one. I would definately go with it. As for RAM, the NVIDIA chipset allows you to unlock the RAM speed from the FSB speed, so high-speed RAM isn't that important when overclocking. I would go with some good DDR2-800 RAM and save yourself some money. For example, this is a good, yet cost-effective set.

Thanks stettybet0 for you reply. I will have a look at that Ram. I had forgotten the specs said that you could unlock Ram speed from FSB speed. The Silverstone is a go. My wording in my first posting was not all that clear. Sorry to all.

Edited by sounder7, 19 May 2008 - 05:47 PM.