Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New system build

• Please log in to reply

AnonPC

AnonPC

• Pip
  • 5 posts
http://secure.newegg...spx?Submit=view

Ok this is my current build. Does anyone have any advice on it. Any known issues with the boards or cards to look out for? any idea what is good to get for ram? I was thinking about just getting 800 ram but I might want to get more for overclocking. Is thre any recommended for it. I figured I would buy higher clocked ram maybe and use it after a while. Is there anything to look out for?

Is the gigabyte L board better than the R. I could buy a 30 dollar little card to add in but I have no idea which one would be better. And are there any major issues with the gigabyte video card I should be aware of?

Edited by AnonPC, 21 May 2008 - 03:50 PM.

Advertisements

AnonPC

AnonPC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Does anyone know about the ram speed issue(Is 1066 ram still the 1:1 ration? I haven't done this in a long time.) or have any info on that gigabyte card or gigabytes cards in general? One of the reviews on newegg for it said it had issues with several things?

What would be good for overclocking this?

I'm probably getting the Q6600 for easier time buying more compatible ram and for overclocking possibly. I figure the smaller FSB is cheaper in that regards right now. And I think I'm getting that PSU since it says it is high qaulity and uses industrial grade parts. It's also 80plus certified or something and seems to be of the same qaulity as the higher end antec PSUs.

Anyone have any fine tooning hints for this sytem? Or any expert advice or opinions?

what is good in general for performance now and for overclocking? I wanted to make sure this was good for both.

Overclocking questions:

800:1066 is a 3/4 ratio. So going from 800 to 1066 is a 25 percent increase.
1066:1333 is 4/5 ratio. So going from 1066 to 1333 is a 20 percent increase.

Is one of them practically easier than the other to acheive.

Edited by AnonPC, 21 May 2008 - 07:11 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Shopping Cart links only work on your computer.
Please post a separate link to your items.

Personally I tend to upgrade parts individually and then replace a major part and related parts every two or three years. January 2004 I first built the computer I use now. I added more memory to it a few months on but that was it until July 2006. The next upgrade wasn't until February this year when I replaced the board, the memory and the processor. Three months on, I've upgraded the processor again and now replaced the graphics card.

I don't plan any more upgrades or replacements for the rest of the year, though I'm always looking out for bargains. I dare say it will be late 2009 before I do any major upgrading. For what I use the computer for I don't need the latest all-singing and dancing computer, I'm quite happy to sit three or four generations down the hardware chain.

Of course this is how I work and your needs may be different. Depending on your bits, upgradability may be similiar.

AnonPC

AnonPC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an old 478 system and a celron. So nothing is upgradeable for any decent price. It's been five years since I bought it and I never upgraded it.

How do you post a seperate link to the items?

I've selected the GA-EP35-DS3R, Gskill 4GB(2x2) DDR2 1000 ram, Q6600, Corsair 650Watt PSU, Gigabyte 8800GT 512MB, 250gig hdd. It is at 795.11 plus about 70 dollars off from rebates and codes. So 725 dollars with shipping included. I upgrade the core of system and bought a hardrive for backup to transfer my currents data.

Ok I just bought them. couldn't wait I guess. That is what I went with. Unfortunatly neweggs 4gig flash drives our temporarily out of stock. They are only15.99 ATM. I'm waiting for an email if they come back into stock to try to get one. I also got a combo deal with the hardrive for a 15dollar cpu tool kit with 7 dollars off it 8) A little bonus with my purchase! It has a nice zipping thing so It should be nice and I can always change out screwdrivers or maybe put others stuff in it.

Edited by AnonPC, 21 May 2008 - 09:00 PM.