Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem loading certain webpages

• Please log in to reply

frustratedmd

frustratedmd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am a non-IT person having trouble loading certain websites on my computer for about 6 months. Initially on Windows XP using either IE6 or Firefox. Went out and bought a brand new HP computer with Vista and IE7 and having the same problem as soon as I turned it on. Connected to a local network via ethernet to Earthlink DSL.

I can connect to the internet and about 80% of the sites work. Problem is the 20% that don't -- includes most of the msn sites (including hotmail), cdc.gov, aafp.org. Weird thing is, computer next to mine (#2) in the office on the same network has no problem.

Have tried:
Connected a laptop to my setup and had same problem -- took laptop home and worked fine without changing any settings.
New ethernet cord - no luck.
Plugged into the ethernet port that computer #2 uses - still no luck.
Also turned off all security systems after scanning for viruses (none).
Earthlink has been no help... They came out and said "signal is fine".
Have tried turning modem off and on.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

--frustrated!

Advertisements