Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Recognizing new SATA Drive

• Please log in to reply

VidenTheColdOne

VidenTheColdOne

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
The last two times i installed SATA hard drives i had troubles getting the computer to recognize them. Fortunatly my brother is a computer buff, and fixed it up. I just bought a new one (its coming tomorow) and i forsee the same problem, but this time my brother isn't around to help me fix it. I plugged it in to the power supply, and into the mother board last time, booted up, but the drive was not listed under "my computer" Is there something more i need to do? Please let me know. Any tips, or suggestions?

Advertisements

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi VidenTheColdOne

The reason it doesn't show up in My Computer Straight away, is probably because its not formatted, therefore My Computer has no idea it even exists.

The easiest way round this is to do the following:

Right Click on My Computer and choose Manage
In the pop up Window that appears, in the Left Hand Pane, click on the Disk Management Option under Storage

Doing this lists all disks that are attached to the PC, including those that are unpartitioned/unformatted.

If you find the new drive there, and right click it, there should be the option to either format it or create a new partition.

Follow the steps in the Wizard and it will guide you through it. After the format has been completed, the drive will appear in My Computer.

VidenTheColdOne

VidenTheColdOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
thank you, i beleive that was the info i was looking for. I will let you know if it works when i get the drive ^_^ .