Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't start after SP1 update to Toshiba laptop

• Please log in to reply

joegeek

joegeek

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Having arrived at Vista directly from Win98SE, I realize I was probably very naive--I actually thought that since Microsoft advised doing the SP1 update (which only recently was made available for my Italian version), I ought to go ahead and do it. If only I had researched first.

My laptop came preinstalled with Vista Home Premium. It is a Toshiba Satellite A100, with Core 2 Duo and 2 GB Ram.

I ran a Vista data backup (that is using the data backup program in the control panel) onto an external hard disk before doing the SP1 update. I also updated the BIOS from the Toshiba site.

Since the update, the computer will not boot. I get the Toshiba splash screen, and then a screen informing me of an error (hardware or software) and giving two choices, System Recovery (I think: the Italian is 'Ripristino di sistema') or regular startup. Either leads to a message saying that the computer can't run the program and giving me only the option of turning the computer off. If I start while pressing F8, all the options lead to the same point: failiure to start and turn the computer off.

I could just use the Restore disk that Toshiba provided, to wipe the entire hard disk and start all over, but I am rather worried that the backup I did (using the backup program in the Vista Control Panel) won't save all my email. I was using Eudora, ancient, I know, but I love it. I have hundreds of filters and was thus putting off starting all over with a new email program.

So my question is, is there any reason to fear that I won't be able to recover all my data from a Vista data backup, especially the Eudora mail files? In which case, is my only option to go to a shop (or Toshiba center?) and have them remove the disc and recover all the data?

Is the startup disk on this page legitimate? http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/
Would it be any use to me for backing up my email files (straight copy this time) from my HD?

Is there any way I can access my Eudora email files from the backup I did (again, using the Vista data backup program) from another machine...that is my Win98SE desktop machine. In other words, is the backup only accessible from Vista or not?

Why didn't I just do a straight copy the files I was most worried about? Why did I trust this update?
(Okay, you can skip answering those last questions.)

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe not-so-geeky

Advertisements