Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restricted internet access

• Please log in to reply

LynnAisling

LynnAisling

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have an SBS2003 Server and use a Linksys RV042. I have 35 machines and three servers (one is just a storage server).

I need to find a way to blocked internet access on approximately 25 of the machines that only allow them to surf to designated sites. Some of the PCs need to have unlimited surfing access. Currently I am using the Firewall, Access Restrictions with IP but am not finding this very convenient.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If at all possible I would like to steer away from software on the individual PC due to resources it takes up and a bulk of my users use heavy CAD programs.

Advertisements

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I wouldn't recommend this, but you can use a Web Proxy such as SkunkRox.com.

I wouldn't recommend this if your going to be logging into things such as Hotmail or Myspace as they can easily get your Email Address and Passwords and hack into your account(s).

Its your decision...

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I have no knowledge of your network and used software. However "ISA Server" can block certain sites for people.
Also, a Proxy Server would do the task.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Olrik

LynnAisling

LynnAisling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have thought about a proxy server but was concerned with it's security.

I have been looking at a hardware solution and came across the Sonic Wall CSM Series. Anyone happen to have an opinion on that?

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
If you are the hands on kind of person and want an OSS Linux solution, you can look at Squid. If you want a boxed solution, I'd look at Barracuda Web Filter.