Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Service Pack 3 flawed?

• Please log in to reply

Bolgarz

Bolgarz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
OK I had a very serious problem updating my system with Microsofts Service Pack 3..

After downloaded the new Service Pack 3 my system went to a restart (which is usual) but upon the startup my system locked up, I could not access the restore option to an earlier date, thus i was forced to lose a years worth of information, only option I got was to restore the system back to its original state when it was new.

System;

Computer; Compaq SR1923WM, AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500T
Memory; 3 gigs
Graphics; Nvidia 8500GT
Sound; Hercules Fortimisso III 7.1
Hard Drive; ST3120213AS

All drivers are of the newest versions.

I read this is an issue with Compaq machines and Service Pack 3 if so is there a way around it so SP 3 can be installed? Or just avoid this download?

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
So what is your status now?

Can you boot, did you format??

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Did you make any hardware changes recently? I'm running SP3 on my computer, and I'm not having any problems so to say, I think the only big change I noticed was that it reinstalled Windows Live Messenger for me in a different location, but everything else seems to be pretty much the same.

If anyone else has this problem, it would be really good to know. When I build new computers, Windows Update won't let me put anything but SP3 on for updates.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There are known issues with SP3 and HP/Compaq computers with AMD processors. It has nothing to do with SP3 and everything to do with the images HP/Compaq uses to install Windows to their machines. They were warned about this practice as far back as 2004 and chose to continue on installing the operating system images which were made on Intel based machines and force the machines to start a set of Intel drivers by default...this is what is causing the problems on the AMD platforms.

While there are various scripts that are available on the internet which supposedly address this, the best option at this time is to simply not install SP3 on AMD machines that may have been manufactured by these companies until the issues have been resolved.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Ah, that would explain a lot. I'm running a Dell copy of XP on a P4. :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Take advantage of the free Micro$oft help being offered for SP3:

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (All Languages)

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is valid until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy, visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at http://support.micro...ecycle/?p1=3223. Chat and e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. For all other Windows XP issues, visit the Help and Support site at http://support.micro...aspx?gprid=1173, and then choose your product.

Ron

Bolgarz

Bolgarz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No to hardware changes just updated the drivers,. and YES I had to reformat hard drive to get system up and runnig again thus losing over a years worth of info... :)

Since re-format I have denied the service pack 3 download. system runs fine with Service Pack 2 so sticking with it :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Everyone having problems with SP3, including me, should use the link listed to file a report/complaint to Micro$oft about SP3. I just did. May not do much good, but it will allow them to track the number of users having problems with SP3.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 05 June 2008 - 05:25 PM.

njclyne

njclyne

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I too have had major problems with SP3.

I put the problems down to SP3 cuz the timing of my problems seems to coincide with the installation of it and also, like you MajorPayne I've had the BSOD's and basically very similar issues.

as I've posted in the help section of the hijack logs topics http://www.geekstogo...re-t200593.html

i've found all sorts of adware and Trojans when scanning with AVG. They are all Registry errors but it seems that AVG is the only one that is able to locate them. I'm just having trouble getting rid of them. More than 450!!

I'm seriously considering just backing up my files and re installing windows as you have done Major Payne

Any thoughts?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
@njclyne:

I would wait until one of the Malware experts picks up your post to help you before re-installing Windows. You may be able to get rid of all the malware you've picked up. BUT... I do recommend you backing up everything you want to keep now before you get started on malware cleaning to be safe.

I have since moved my documents from Windows My Document folder since this gets erased during a re-install. You definitely lose all your files like music, pictures, etc.! I just named a new folder in the root directory to keep all my pictures, music, etc.. Does mess up some programs that, by default, look in the Windows My Documents folder for the files. On those programs, I look for an option to change where to look.

I bought a new 500GB My Book USB drive and backing up like crazy. :)

Ron

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Complaining to Microsoft will do no good since the issue isn't with Microsoft, it's with Dell/HP/Compaq for using the imaging to install windows.

If you have a Dell/HP/Compaq and an AMD processor, don't avoid installing SP3. If you recieve the STOP 0x0000007E blue screen, it's a really simple, quick fix involving making 1 registry edit: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Complaining to Microsoft will do no good since the issue isn't with Microsoft, it's with Dell/HP/Compaq for using the imaging to install windows.

It was not a recommendation to "complain" to Microsoft, but to let them know you are having issues as they are in the process of trying to patch SP3 and it would be nice to have a record of known issues with SP3 from people with all the system information given. Sorry about the word "complaint". And it does do good to "complain" to Microsoft about problems/issues.

I have a Dell and mine was not a STOP issue per se at the blue screen. It was a memory write then a page fault and then something else as I continued to try every trick I know to recover. It was closer to: STOP 0x000000FC (ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY), but not exactly. Micro$oft only issued all this support AFTER I took care of my issue.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 05 June 2008 - 05:31 PM.

underdawg

underdawg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Umm Ya.. i dunno nothin bout nothin on the computer.. but i got this program FL 7.. ive learned to make music vary quickly..and now.. i want to update my com.. windows xp.. celeron (somethin somethin,,, )haha and i was woundering if the service pack 3 upgdate is gonna erase all my work.. cuz i really dont want to loose anything.. my beats is on here

SOMEONE HELP..I really need to know thx

UNDER-DAWG