Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Monitor

• Please log in to reply

NJTT

NJTT

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When my laptop runs on battery, the monitor occasionally turns into black or grey or whatever color screen but the laptop is still running normally. I can hear music or video playing even the screen is off. I can always turn the monitor on again by rebooting or turn it into sleep mode then turn it on again. What could be the possible reason for the problem?

Warranty expired, so I don't wanna send it to the company unless it's I really have to. It's a compaq laptop. I heard my friend's dell laptop also has the same problem.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Sounds like the screen itself is failing. My dad had to replace one recently, and it was upwards of $300

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
if it only does it on battery then a couple possibilities are... the battery may not be able to supply clean enough power or maybe it has a power saver function to do that and it's not working correctly... you could check and see if there are any drivers/utilities for power savings on the companies website... It could be the screen is going but if it's just going dark and you can vaguely see something it might also be either the backlight and/or invertor... again if this doesn't happen on full power and only on battery I'd lean away from it being that.... again you could try the battery... either replace it or see if there is a place that " rejuvenates " batteries in your area.

good luck