Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trouble with file sharing from xp to vista

• Please log in to reply

cjmenard

cjmenard

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i read some of the other posts, but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. I'm trying to set fix things so that I can view my pictures and listen to my music saved on my desktop (WinXP) on my new laptop (Vista). I've followed tutorials to the best of my ability, but I can't seem to get it to work. I can't even see the other computers if I view the network tree on either system. I just need help here. I have to have done something wrong. I'm new to the whole home network thing, so I guess I need it dumbed down to the extreme, because I've obviously missed something.

I've got my modem hooked into the wall with the cable, and the wireless router is plugged into that. Desktop and laptop are both wireless due to the fact that my house has the cable hook up in the most inconvenient place they could think of when building it. Thanks in advance!

-C.J.

*UPDATE*

I found another site with people having the same issue, and I tried numerous workarounds with no luck. All I've been able to do is get my Vista machine to see my XP machine, but I can't seem to get to any files. I even got fed up and tried setting up an ad hoc with no luck there either. Maybe I'll just go buy an external hard drive and share it between the two...

Edited by cjmenard, 21 May 2008 - 04:56 PM.

Advertisements

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hey cjmenard,

Welcome to the GeekToGo Forum Boards!

I'll tell you, I had a similar issue. What I suggest you do is connect (if its possible) your desktop (running XP) to your router. In other words, get a direct connection from Router --> Desktop. This way, you'll be able to set up a home network with file sharing.

To share a file, right click on the folder and the tab over to Sharing. From there, click the settings you wish to enable and hit Ok.

Now, go to your Vista laptop. Click:
Start>My Computer. On the top address bar, choose Network Places and you should [if connected to the internet properly] see the shared folder(s).