Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new ram

• Please log in to reply

caterra

caterra

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I picked up two pc133 256mb ram sticks for my computer ...ever since i installed them my computer pops up with the disk read error ctrl+alt+del to reboot crap and it's annoying...any ideas?

Edited by caterra, 21 May 2008 - 04:38 PM.

Advertisements

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I would run a memory scanner to make sure that the one (or both) of the two sticks of RAM are not faulty.

Have you also tried just starting windows without the 2 new sticks to see if windows loads correctly?

caterra

caterra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I don't know how to run a memory scanner...if it's not in BIOS i'm screwed cuz only BIOS works. I took out the ram, put the old ram in and same deal...i'm worried i screwed up my harddrive but it doesn't make any clicking noises or anything...if i come across an xp disk i'm gonna try to repair windows and see if that does anything...what else do you think could be it?

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have a memory checker that you could use, however before I post the files, can you check to make sure that you didn't disconnect any of the cables that run from the motherboard to the hard-drive.

I know it may sound silly, but you wouldn't be the first person who has forgotten to re-attach a cable (I include myself in that :) )

caterra

caterra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ha noo everything is attached...i still have a warranty on the hard drive if an xp repair won't work...again i need a [bleep] disk! anyway if you could attach the files that would be awesome...i'm moving this weekend so i probably won't get them til sunday ish...when i can use my dads computer. have a good weekend