Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dead Machine

• Please log in to reply

davyburns

davyburns

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi,
I said I'd have a look at a pc for a pensioner, who says the pc just went off one day. everything looks ok, the psu seems ok, fans and hd spinning, memories ok. the mboard looks newish, I cant tell the make, but there are copper cooling pipes at the base of the cpu, wuch is an athlon. the only readable markings on the mobo is winfast. It seems from earlier discussions with him that there were bios problems, which someone else fixed, this happened a few times. does anyone know how to clear the bios on this type of mobo, or even what type it is?
I know the obvious step is to try a new graphics card, but this old guy is a bit strapped for cash, so I'm trying to do it as cheaply as possible.
Any idea's
Thanks
davy
ps, it has 2 pci express sli ports

Edited by davyburns, 22 May 2008 - 05:44 AM.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Check out this link... http://www.devhardwa...lash-Your-BIOS/

It has directions on flashing most BIOS's. Keep in mind, that if the video card *is* the problem, then flashing the BIOS isn't going to do a whole lot about it. And on the whole, if he doesn't need a super video card, those are among the cheaper parts of a computer to replace.

davyburns

davyburns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I reset the cmos,but no joy! The mobo is a foxconn NF4SK8AA

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
To me *personally,* that sounds like a video card issue. Do you have a spare one you could test it with?

davyburns

davyburns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Worse case scenario, I went out and bought a pcie video card £31, and its not that! looks like the mobo.
At least I now have a spare graphics card!
Anyone any prefs for a socket 939 mobo, with a PCI express slot?
Davy

Edited by davyburns, 23 May 2008 - 04:30 AM.