Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Drivers Maybe?

• Please log in to reply

thatdudetravis

thatdudetravis

• Pip
  • 7 posts
i recently downgraded from vista to XP (or upgraded i should say :) ) ............ anyways... laptop came with vista to begin with and now is running XP. when i installed XP i just formatted the HD and started over clean for XP ........ well it deleted all my drivers of course ... i've gotten most everything back to normal but now i dont have sound and also my ethernet por does not work (it doesnt even light up when plugged in)

i'm not sure where to begin to get these things working again...i'm assuming i might just need to re-install drivers for them?
there werent any driver cd's that came with the computer though, i've been to gateway's website to see if they are there and couldnt find anything there. I'm not sure where-else to look.

some guidence would be much appreciated!

here is some info i wrote down before i formatted.

Ethernet Controller:
Marvell Yukon 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

Wireless:
Marvell Top Dog ™ PCI-Express 802.11n Wireless (EC85)

Sound:
Sigmatel High Definition Audio CODEC

Thanks for any help!!

Advertisements

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Lets see if we can work on fixing the sound first.

Please goto Start>Run>Services.msc

Here I want you to scroll down and then find the service Windows Audio. Double click it and make sure it is on Automatic.

If it isn't, then set it to Automatic and then reboot.

After you have rebooted, please go Start>Right Click My Computer>Manage>Device Manager

Here, I need you to find Sigmatel High Definition Audio CODEC and then double click it. After, click on the Driver tab an take down some details about it such as

*Driver Provider
*Driver Date
*Driver Version
*Driver Signer

thatdudetravis

thatdudetravis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok i set that to automatic.

when i went to device manager there wasnt any that said sigmatel .. i know thats what it is though because that is what was there before i formatted.
i took some screenshots of what i saw though.

(screenshots look like old windows...i'm on XP and have it set to classic) just to avoid any confusion haha.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks

Edited by thatdudetravis, 22 May 2008 - 04:51 PM.

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
OK.

In the Device Manager, click on Other Devices and take a screenshot of that.

Also, is your sound working? Try iTunes or something of that kind.

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Ok i'm going to be away from my computer, so please don't get impatient.

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Actually I might be away for a while, but for now I'm here, so feel free to ask.

Edited by PILL5B3RRY, 22 May 2008 - 05:08 PM.

thatdudetravis

thatdudetravis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No. no sound at all is working .. i've tried windows media player, divx player, youtube, no sound anywhere.

here is the screenshot.

Posted Image

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Just what I thought...

Ok I want you to right click on each of the Drivers that have the Yellow Question mark. After, click on uninstall. If it prompts you to reboot, don't. First uninstall all of the drivers then reboot. Windows should automatically reinstall the drivers. If any error happens, please tell me.

Edited by PILL5B3RRY, 23 May 2008 - 08:07 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello thatdudetravis...

Looks like you still need to install the chipset drivers. If you are using onboard sound and ethernet, that would be where the problem is.

wannabe1

thatdudetravis

thatdudetravis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok cool i think we might have gotten a step further. but i still have no sound.

here are some screenshots

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks

thatdudetravis

thatdudetravis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello thatdudetravis...

Looks like you still need to install the chipset drivers. If you are using onboard sound and ethernet, that would be where the problem is.

wannabe1

oh ok. its a laptop so i'm assuming it is onboard sound and ethernet ...

could it also have anything to do with maybe not being compatible with XP or something? since the laptop originally had Vista...

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Maybe. For now, try reinstalling the SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec.

To do this, simply click uninstall then reboot. Windows should automatically detect any new drivers. If that doesnt work, then try updating your drivers, but for now do whtat I said in the first step.

thatdudetravis

thatdudetravis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
K i did all that ... when i restarted... it found the sigmatel but it didnt prompt me to install anything for it .. so i went to it and right clicked on it and clicked "update driver" or whatever and it said there is no better version

so basically i'm still sitting like the last screenshot i showed you.

good news is. when i restarted . it found my ethernet controller and installed that. so my ethernet port works now :)

so here is a screenshot of what i'm looking at now after restarting.

Posted Image

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Ok open up Device Manager again and double click on the SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec Driver. After, go on the Driver tab and then click on Roll Back Driver. If it says that there are no backups for this driver then please tell me and will we continue further.

thatdudetravis

thatdudetravis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Ok open up Device Manager again and double click on the SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec Driver. After, go on the Driver tab and then click on Roll Back Driver. If it says that there are no backups for this driver then please tell me and will we continue further.

ok i did that and it said there are no rollbacks.

i've done some searching around and i've found that alot of people who've downgraded from Vista to XP have problems getting the sound to work.... i'm not sure why but here is a link to one thread in a forum i found.... i've gotten every other driver including my wireless driver to work... so all thats left is my sound...

anyways, here is the link:
Click Here For Thread

the original poster in the thread has the same model laptop as me and the same problem.