Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc dummy needs help

• Please log in to reply

babykatt

babykatt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i bought a used pc...i re installed xp on the pc just so i could completely clean it up...i beleive i have IE 6 because the home page says get IE 7....i can't download anything from the internet...when i click the download button on a site a new window will open and then both the new and original window go white and stop responding...i have to open task manager to shut them down and reopen IE ....i can't go from one site to another or a site back to home page without same issue...i can't open or download and open attachments from my mail..i have yahoo mail....now all of a sudden i'm getting a red X window saying "windows cannot access the specified device,path,or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"...i have done nothing but open the IE homepage and i get this..if click the ok button i get like sixty windows that pop up...what the heck is going on here?...mind you that any help needs to be explained in simple terms as i am not good with computers lol....just to let you know i have norton on the pc but it isn't running...i can't get it to delete and i can't get my new norton installed without the thing working properly lol

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello babykatt...

These symptoms are often associated with malware. If you have problems with downloading the programs from the page I've linked you to below, perhaps try downloading them from another machine and save them to a cd or flash drive so you can run them on the infected machine. If you are unable to run anything from there, post the issue to a new topic in the malware forum explaining the problem as you have here. I would just move this topic over, but you should at least try to get a HiJackThis log for the experts to look at.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions you'll find there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a HiJackThis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1