Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

log-in behavior changing, XP SP2

• Please log in to reply

sideman44

sideman44

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been having a problem with XP logins. My two kids and I have separarte logins on this pc. Every couple of days or so I find that I can't log off or switch user from their accounts. The dialog pops up, I can click Log Off or Switch User, but then nothing happens. Just stays on whichever account was up. The only thing I can do is hit reset. I don't know if this happens from my own account, but I assume it would.

Even more suspicious and puzzling is that occasionally XP will ask for a password to log in, even though none of us use a password (I know, I know...). Again all I can do is reset. I put a password on my own account, but a few minutes ago I found that XP did not accept it. Again, reset.

We have all been admin accounts until today (again, I know, I know...). I just changed that, I now have a separate admin account. Barn door now locked, though horse is miles away.

I have followed the procedure in "Must read this before posting a Hijackthis log". The malware programs found bad cookies, but nothing more. I had been using AVG (NOT the free version) but an considering a change.

This seems like malware behavior to me, but I wanted to get opinions before posting a Hijackthis log.

Thanks in advance,
Phil

Advertisements

Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Have you tried doing a "System Restore" to a point before the problem occurred?