Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP cannot load local profile!

• Please log in to reply

bind19

bind19

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello all ,

This problem just appeared toiday and its pissing me off. I cannot do system restore aor anything. The message says that the profile might be corrupted and it loads a temporary profile instead. When i get to the desktop it has most of my programs minus my personal folders and crap. Everything is set to defaults and its annoying as [bleep]. Is there anyway to fix this? i looked around and it says that you ahve to create a new profile, but can i do this and keep all my old setting such as OUtlook exp[ress and my Verizon DSL settings? any help is appreciated!

Advertisements

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
If you create a new profile, it will set everything to default. Verizon DSL settings are not really on the computer itself but rather your network. You wont have to worry about that.

As for the Outlook Settings such as Email, try importing it from your old profile.

You will have to set the wallpaper and icons yourself, though.

Good Luck,

PILL5B3RRY

bind19

bind19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanks for the reply. But i am wondering how can i get my personal folders back which i had on the desktop of my original profile? is there some way to import them to the new one? If there is step by step instructions would be great thanks!

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Sure...

After you create your new profile, go to Start>Run>C:/Documents and Settings

Here, click on your old profile and then click on the Desktop folder.

All of your folders and icons from your old profile should be here, unless nothing got corrupted.

Good Luck,

PILL5B3RRY

bind19

bind19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi i tried what u said but I cannot access mydesktop folder from the originaluser profile folder, it says its "inaccessible" and access is denied. All the other desktop folders are just empty.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Restart in safe mode and log in as administrator. Then open windows explorer and go to Documents and Settings\ folder and locate your old profile name. Expand it and one of the folders you should see is Desktop. That should have the files you're looking for. You can copy those over to the same folder in your new profile name.

Good luck.