Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External HD Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I have a laptop HD that I bought a case for and I put it in and plugged it in. Vista said it installed fine but I cant find the drive, it's not in My Computer or in Disk Management. Please help.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You sure it's not listed on the bottom half of disk management and just doesn't have a partition created on it yet? Not having a partition on the drive would make it not show up on the top half of Disk Management.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Well it has Win XP installed on it so it should be partitioned. And no it's not on the bottom half.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you're plugging it into a port on the front of the computer, try plugging it into one on the back. Also, a screenshot of the entire Disk Management screen would be helpful too.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Okay, I plugged it into a back port and still no luck. Here's the screenshot. Usually there's a WD My Book in Disk Management but I had to unplug that to plug the other one into the back.

Posted Image

Edited by Drumbum667, 25 May 2008 - 09:07 AM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I tihnk the problem lies within the HD and not the OS. I would think that XP would recognize but it didnt. Im not sure what else I can do.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That could very well be. Try plugging it into another computer and see if it installs correctly.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I plugged it into my bros laptop, which is XP, and it said there was a problem installing your hardware.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then either the hard drive is bad or the enclosure is bad. Can't really test it unless you have another enclosure and/or another hard drive.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
It could be the HD. The whole reason it's not in my laptop is because it randomly jsut wouldn't boot Windows. Even though nothing was wrong. I think it just died. Doesn't really matter. Thanks for helping me out anyway.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You could always get the utility from the hard drive manufacturer and perform a low-level format of the drive. Of course you would have to put the drive back in your laptop and then boot from a CD that has the utility on it. You could also burn an image of the Ultimate Boot CD and boot from that. It has a myriad of formatting tools and other utilities that could help. A low-level format can take hours to finish depending on the size of the hard drive. Worth a shot anyways.