Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP

• Please log in to reply

marc_randles

marc_randles

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
seriously slow pc, everything i do is soooooooooo slow

please help

Ive run AVG antispyware and antivirus scans & its found nothing

Should I format my pc and start from scratch???

Edited by marc_randles, 25 May 2008 - 04:11 AM.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Not necessarily. How much RAM do you have? How much hard drive space do you have? Have you defragmented the hard drive recently?

Those are the major things that come to mind, right off the top of my head...

marc_randles

marc_randles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
1gig of ram
110gig of free space
226gig of free space on my external hd

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Hmm... What do you have for a CPU? How about a graphics card? (Just trying to get an idea as to what could be causing your machine to run so slow)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello marc_randles...

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Transfer Mode and the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Transfer Mode and the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

wannabe1

marc_randles

marc_randles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Hmm... What do you have for a CPU? How about a graphics card? (Just trying to get an idea as to what could be causing your machine to run so slow)

Intel Pentium 4
Radion X300

marc_randles

marc_randles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Hello marc_randles...

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Transfer Mode and the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Transfer Mode and the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

wannabe1

There isnt a primary & secondary

Only 2 primary, 1 says DMA if available, then under Current Transfer Mode it says Ultra DMA Mode 2

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do both Primary channels show the same information?

marc_randles

marc_randles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
heres pics

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled234.JPG
  • untitled345.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on the second Primary channel (the one that shows PIO only) and choose "Uninstall"...accept the change.

Reboot. When Windows starts, it will reinstall the channel and any devices attached to it. Once this is complete you will be asked to reboot again...do so.

After the second reboot, is there any significant difference in performance?

Check the transfer modes for the second Primary channel again. Is it set for DMA or UDMA transfer mode?

Advertisements

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Please Do Not give malware advice in any forum other than the Malware Forum...and then ONLY if you are a trained Staff member.

Edited by wannabe1, 26 May 2008 - 11:57 AM.

marc_randles

marc_randles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Right click on the second Primary channel (the one that shows PIO only) and choose "Uninstall"...accept the change.

Reboot. When Windows starts, it will reinstall the channel and any devices attached to it. Once this is complete you will be asked to reboot again...do so.

After the second reboot, is there any significant difference in performance?

Check the transfer modes for the second Primary channel again. Is it set for DMA or UDMA transfer mode?

Are you sure about this?

I dont mean to question your knowledge but im worried that its gonna really screw up my pc if I do this

Please put my mind at rest

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It won't harm your machine, it will just force the IDE channel to reinstall it's drivers and should reset the transfer mode to the system default, which is either DMA or UDMA. PIO (Programmed Input/Output) transfer modes can cause your machine to run very slowly...we need to try and get the default settings back.

marc_randles

marc_randles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
right I did what u said and uninstalled the channel with the PIO

it never asked me to reboot

Ive rebooted it and it found and installed some stuff but again it never asked me to reboot

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Reboot it anyway to set the changes and see if the performance improves. Also check the second Primary channel and see what the Current Transfer Mode is set to after the restart.