Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hp Laptop will not start lights up then shuts off

• Please log in to reply

Umbra1

Umbra1

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
This is an HP zt1000 laptop which will not start up. When you press the power button on the unit it lights up then shut off and will not start-up. Now if you push it again there is no response it is dead but if you take and unplug it then plug it back it will light up then shut off. now this is with the battery removed .

With the battery installed it will light up then shut off as many time as you push the button but will not start. I checked the power through the plug and it is good and the battery is new and good too.

Any clues???

Thanks

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
my guess is power board is bad inside laptop ( note this could be seperate and it could be integrated into the motherboard ) or possibly a short somewhere...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Umbra1...

According to HP, this is a known BIOS problem. They suggest updating the BIOS to resolve the issue.

More Information

wannabe1

Umbra1

Umbra1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I thought about the BIOS but it does not even begin to load up the BIOS it shuts off almost as soon as you release the power button. Does anyone know where I can find a diagram of the motherboard to check out/trace the power board? :)