Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service

• Please log in to reply

astrosoup

astrosoup

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I recently Applied Service Pack 1 on my Toshiba Satellite A205 running Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit). I subscribe to Verizon's mobile broadband network with an EV-DO Card (Qualcomm V740). Out of the blue, when I tried to connect last week, Verizon's "Access Manager" wouldn't display my "WLAN" (the mobile broadband connection) as an available connection, saying Error "711". I tried to work around the software by setting the connection up manually within Vista, but it failed to establish a connection as well. After a phone call to Verizon's technical support, I learned that the following three services need to be enabled in order to use this device:

Telephony
Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

We checked on them and Telephony was set to "manual" and was started. The remaining two were set to manual, but they were not started. I set them to automatic and tried to start them, but they would not start, because the required dependencies were not started. I checked on this and the dependencies for the two of them were Telephony, and a new service apparently added by Service Pack 1 called "Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service" This service was set to manual but was not started. I set it to automatic and tried to start it, but it returns: "Error 1717- The interface is unknown". I rebooted to see if it would start up with Windows, but no luck. I got the same error when I tried to start it again.

SFC revealed no troubles. I have disabled all of Panda Antivirus's protection settings, still no joy. Any ideas?

Edited by astrosoup, 29 May 2008 - 01:23 AM.

Advertisements

astrosoup

astrosoup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Just for the record, the only solution Microsoft could give me for this issue is to uninstall Vista's Service Pack 1 and reinstall it again. The service can't just be rebuilt or replaced because it was added by SP1 and apparently isn't present in any backup directories. Best of luck to anyone else dealing with this. Service Pack 1 didn't uninstall for me and I ended up having to reformat just to fix this! Needless to say, I won't be reinstalling SP1 for a while and I have my automatic updates disabled for the time being as well.