Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to get rid off Run As command and Install Applicaiton

• Please log in to reply

Mobi

Mobi

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi there,

We have taken admin rights form two machines. These machines are used to install the product i.e. software application to test that the installation package is running fine.

Now due to the security reason we have taken admin rights form the users on those machines. But the problem is that when a power user try to install it requires Admin privileges to install that application, therefore there is a dependency that I have to provide the Admin privileges and use the Run As command to install the application with the Admin right.

I want to resolve this dependency so that user can install/uninstall that application without my or admin interaction.

Once thing I tried earlier is that I run the Regmoan and found out which registry keys that application requires to have access but when I provided the access right I found that the explorer stopped working and I was not able to see even the desktop.

Can anyone help me in this regard so that that user can be able to install that particular application without Admin interaction?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
User's are set to Power User's for a reason, so that they can't just install anything on the machine without the Administrator of the computer knowing about it. This is used a lot on business machines so that employee's don't install every piece of crapware that they can find. If you want the Power User's to be able to install the software on the machine, then make their accounts Administrator accounts. Otherwise, having to Run as Administrator and supply the password is a good thing to have since you said you took the admin rights away from those two machines in the first place.

Mobi

Mobi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
But the dependency will remain :)

I do not want in going to them again and again and giving the password for the users. Don't we have any such option to automate it? Just like in Windows XP we can save the password for the network/or any machine so the user doesn't need to type the password instead when the user tries to access that machine it XP automatically provide the user name and password. Can we have any such thing or the application?? So the credentials can be automatically passed to the application or on the RUN As command???

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

But the dependency will remain :)

I do not want in going to them again and again and giving the password for the users. Don't we have any such option to automate it? Just like in Windows XP we can save the password for the network/or any machine so the user doesn't need to type the password instead when the user tries to access that machine it XP automatically provide the user name and password. Can we have any such thing or the application?? So the credentials can be automatically passed to the application or on the RUN As command???

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having them as Power User's only on the machines? I mean if they can have the Admin password saved, they could install anything under the sun and would never need to ask you for the password. Yes I know it's a pain, but if you don't trust the user of the computer to give him/her admin rights on the computer, then you definitely don't want to give them free reign by having them able to install absolutely any piece of software available.

Now that being said, there is a way to make an installation know the admin information so that it doesn't need to have it entered by a administrator, but I don't know how to do that since we've never had a need to do that at my work. We normally just either stop by the person's desk or remote in and install the software the person needs, or we push it out automatically through the network.

Check out Google and see what you can come up with, or wait for someone else to respond to this thread with further information.