Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook express won't send or delete.

• Please log in to reply

Alex from GA

Alex from GA

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yesterday I tried to attach a large file, 156 mb worth of pictures and send them to another person with the same ISP, bellsouth.net. When I did it I knew I screwed up but it was too late. Well the file is in the outbox and won't go anywhere. It can't be high lighted; all I get is an hour glass for ever. When I quit out of outlook express it takes over 5 minutes. I was on the phone with my ISP this morning for over an hour for naught. When I could understand him he told me to do things that didn't work. Disable startup apps, change options in outlook express, boot in the safe mode to do things, etc. You have helped me in the past with malware and I'm sure you can help me delete the e-mail. Thank you in advance. Alex

Advertisements

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hey Alex from GA,

What it seems like is that you are trying to send a file far past the capabilities (so far) of your ISP/Outlook. When you described that you are unable to highlight the outbox item(s), it leads me to say that Outlook had still been attempting to process the information to the recipient, hence the long wait till Outlook closed.

If you still have access to send mail through Outlook, try sending a smaller file.
Generally, the major email providers do not allow transfer of files past 10-20MB.

Alex from GA

Alex from GA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Transferring/sending the file isn't the problem anymore; I did it another way. Deleting it in my outbox is the problem, can you help?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
In OE Tools>Options> Maint tab "store folders" note the location. Go to this location and find the outbox. Delete the .dbx file that goes with it. (It will recreate)
Johanna

Alex from GA

Alex from GA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks Johanna. That's what I needed; it's done.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Great! Thanks for posting back and letting us know you solved the problem.
Johanna