Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which version of Windows Vista? (XP Programs)

• Please log in to reply

inspectordoppler

inspectordoppler

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Recently my 32-bit desktop computer running Windows XP (OEM version) had to be thrown out.

I'm going to buy a new 64-bit desktop computer with at least 4GB RAM but am unclear about which operating system(s) to use.

I'd still like to use my XP programs :
* Adobe programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator and Premiere Pro
* Reason (music program)
* Ableton (music program)
* Games (as old as "Thief 2: The Metal Age" dating back to 2000)

I'm not sure which operating system to buy with my new computer for my old XP programs to work :
(1) Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
(2) Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit OEM
(3) Windows Vista Home Ultimate (32-bit and 64-bit versions)
(4) Windows Vista Home Ultimate (32-bit and 64-bit versions) OEM

(5) Buy Windows XP aswell as one of the 4 above options and go for dual-boot (a process which I don't know much about at the moment).

I don't mind paying extra for Windows Vista Ultimate if the new computer has 8GB of RAM and I install the 64-bit version of Vista at a later date to improve system performance and prolong the computer's lifespan. Is it worth it?

I've considered the OEM versions because I haven't yet chosen which computer manufacturer to buy from and some companies only include OEM versions of Windows Vista with the computer. If I opt for Windows Vista Ultimate OEM (including both 32-bit and 64-bit), and install the 32-bit version first, can I format the hard drive and install the 64-bit version on the same computer at a later date?

Thanks for reading my inquiry and I appreciate any help that you can offer.

Advertisements

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hey there!

It's been a highly controversial issue regarding whether Vista is worth using/purchasing. Of the people I have speaken to, they prefer XP (Pro).

However, since you seem to be focued on Dual Booting, I'd suggest you get a computer with the following configuration. From what it seems, you aren't looking for a computer that is in a standard budget range. It seems to be that you are looking to spend a few thousand dollars.

Here's what I would recommend:

Operating System : Windows Ultimate 32-Bit / Windows XP Professional SP2
RAM : 4GB (if you are looking for more, make sure that your motherboard supports the 8GB you are looking for)
HardDrive : 2x250GB 10K RPM -- RAID 1
Video : ATI Radeon HD 8600
Monitor : 22'' Screen

inspectordoppler

inspectordoppler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks very much, ipods619. You guessed right about my price range and given me some really helpful advice about which hardware and software option to choose. The more information and opinions I read about Windows Vista, the less convinced I am about buying it ! After just finding out that Microsoft are planning to release Windows 7 in 2010, I'm less sure about Vista's lifespan and now seriously thinking about getting a relatively cheap PC with XP Pro and saving the money until Windows 7 is released. However, if I do opt for a Vista/XP dual boot I'll follow your software/hardware suggestion.

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hey Inspectordoppler!

I'm glad I could be of help. I have closely been watching the Windows 7 (Vienna) production and have concluded (from what I have seen -- although I could be wrong) that there will still be a memory issue (too many graphics, too little RAM) .

I think Microsoft DID learn their lesson with Vista (regarding the hogging of memory) and am hoping they make some adjustments to better use the available RAM.

For now, I'd go with what you said above. Buy a decent computer with Windows XP Pro and wait it out until Windows 7 (let's hope it does get released). If you think about it, its all a cycle.

Windows 95/98 --> Great Hits!
Windows ME --> So-So
Windows 2000/NT --> Flop
Windows XP --> Most Used World Wide
Windows Vista --> Flop

If Microsoft follows this general pattern, it's expected that Windows 7 be either a) So-So or b) Great Hit!

Ofcourse, keep in mind that by 2010, technology will change in the blink of an eye. Now a days, people have what? 512-2048MB of RAM? Who knows, by then maybe there will be a huge turning point in which RAM will not be an issue and Windows 7 will be the next XP. You never know.

But forgetting about the future (if that makes sense), I'd stick with XP for now. Its the most stable and efficient of the Windows releases.

One thing to keep in mind (I almost forgot) : Microsoft will be halting the production of Windows XP after June 30 (from what I read). So if you want to buy the actual disk, buy it soon. All support for XP will be discontinued, in efforts to increase sales of Vista.

Let me know what you choose!