Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

software asset management tool

• Please log in to reply

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
For my work I have been looking into some Software Audit tool.

Sofar I have a headache, found 3 packages that are limited trials and cost a bundle after the trial runs out.
We are a small company and I really doubt that it is any use to install some package that has a zillion options which will never be used.

Plus I'm not very anxious to install SQL on a vital server with the recent SQL injection hype going on.

Does anyone have a recommendation to make for a useful, less intrusive and demanding tool that is more suitable for a small bussiness?
The network has about 30 workstations and 3 servers.

Thanks in advance,

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what other needs do you have? Or what meets your functional needs (excluding cost and sql)?

Managesoft and Microsoft SMS are both applications that came to mind immediately.

WHere's dave at? I bet he's looked into this issue.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi starjax,

It doesn't need to be anything fancy.
Ideally it compares what is installed on the workstation with a list of the software that we provide and reports any differences.
Without having to bother the person working on the computer.

Thanks for looking. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
check out spiceworks...its' free and rellatively easy to use....i never got it to work QUITE accurately on my network but it's designed for 100 or less machines and i've got quite a few more than that...it does full inventory..hardware, software, licensing etc...and i'm pretty sure it can do all that you want

another option is lansweeper it's retartedly difficult to install aparently (i haven't installed it....but a coworker has) it's got a cleaner interface and is pretty quick to scan even large networks...there's a "licensing" page where you enter how many licenses of softwareX you have on your network as well as the price per license and it will tell you how far over your purchased level you are and how much it would cost to fix....it does use SQL though

another one is OCS inventory (which i highly suggest you don't use) again free....relatively easy to use...but it's all in french or frenglish...and for proper reporting you've got to get yet another (still free) package that will aggregate the data

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Thanks dsenette,

I'll have a look at those next week.

Spiceworks sounds and looks promising.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I think that's a keeper. :)

Runscanner

Runscanner

Runscanner.net

• Retired Staff
  • 83 posts
Metallica, I suggest you switch from Spiceworks to Lansweeper :)