Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with browsing the Internet

• Please log in to reply

Kristina

Kristina

• PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
I am starting to have a problem with browsing Internet pages. I have had a topic in the malware section and apparently malware was removed and this isn't connected to that. So I was sent by Rorschach112 to this section.

The problem in short is: I can only access links from my favourites or from google. If I try to access a link on a page, the new window opens and then loads forever. I noticed if I do save target as and save it on my desktop, then by clicking the desktop icon some links might work. Others might not, or the page will load partially.

What I noticed now is that it mostly happens in IE. I downloaded Firefox and there it seems to work better but there are still links I can't access. I tried before to adapt to Firefox, but I can't make the style of the page look comfortable for the eyes (as I don't have LCD screen the browser and the desktop can't both look good with the same settings).

Also IE started working very slow when browsing. I tried cleaning the temporary files but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I also was suggested to try Hostsxpert, but it didn't solve the problem.

What could be the problem with accessing pages? Please help. :)

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you have, or can you borrow. XP installation CD of the same version installed on your computer? If yes, click Start and then Run. In the text line type sfc /scannow (please note the space in the command) and press enter. When asked, insert the disk into the drive and let the process run to the end.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Hi! Thank you for the reply!
Unfortunately I don't have the installation CD fo Windows XP. This version was installed by an aquaintance, but I don't think I have the possibility to borrow the cd too soon.

Edited by Kristina, 27 May 2008 - 01:24 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The purpose of the procedure I suggested was to restore system files to their original state. You can try to run the command without the CD but in most cases it won't work. No harm trying.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Hi! I tried, but indeed the command doesn't work without the CD.
What else could I try doing? :)

Edited by Kristina, 28 May 2008 - 01:48 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I can think on some other options like IE or windows repair but all require an installation CD. So we are back to square 1.

Lets try this: Open IE > tools > internet options.

In General delete cookies, files (check "delete all offline content") and clear history.

In Security click all the icons, one by one, and set them to default.

Privacy: Set to default

Content: clear SSL State.

Programs: Click Manage Add-Ons and disable every item listed.

Advanced: Restore default.

Click Apply > OK and report what happens.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Thank you! I've tried all the above, but it doesn't seem to improve the situation. I disabled all of the add-ons (I'm not sure what effect this could have), restarted, but IE is very slow and the page links won't work. However, Firefox seems to be working just fine. (the only problem I noticed here is it won't load when I click accept for Kaspersky online virus scan).

The problem seems to be just for IE...I had version IE 6 and when it started working slow I was recommended here to change it for IE 7. The speed improved, much also because I understood it uses less memory, but after a few months now I see it stopped working right.

Weird enough is everything worked just fine until May 14th-15th, when I was getting help in the malware section because of comp running slow. At that time I could load any windows in IE, including the Kaspersky scan without any problems. That's why I thought all the time my problems were malware related, but now all malware seems to be gone and this new problem suddenly appeared.

Edited by Kristina, 28 May 2008 - 07:16 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs and uninstall IE 7.0. This will roll you back to IE 6.0. See how it works. If it works well leave it at that. If windows updates sends you IE 7.0 again, as an update, do not install it. If IE 6.0 is not working well download IE 7.0 from here and reinstall it.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Hi! Your suggestion worked! I moved back to IE6 and the problem seems to be solved here. The pages can load slowly as I knew it before and it will probably get slower the more windows are open, but at least they load. However, the writing style seems to be similar here to the one in Firefox, meaning it's more tiring for the eyes. That was one of the reasons why I sticked to IE7, cause it had automatically smoothened fonts, which work well for my CRT screen.

I will however try to reinstall IE7 now and see if it will work again. Maybe I'm lucky. :)

Edit: After I disabled all the add-ons I noticed the google and yahoo toolbars are gone. I now enebled all add-ons again and restarted, but the toolbars didn't reappear. How can I install them again?

Edited by Kristina, 28 May 2008 - 12:30 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can download the toolbars from Yahoo and Google. But, may I ask, are you sure you need these toolbars? They take space from your screen and quite often cause slow down problems. The way I work is to have Google as my home page, having all my other important links saved in Favorites. For your consideration.

Regarding the look of IE 6.0, you can choose a different font and letter size, if you wish.

It looks as if your computer is quite limited on resources. Do you mind writing down what CPU your computer has and how much RAM.

Edited by The Skeptic, 28 May 2008 - 01:14 PM.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
I reinstalled IE7 and for now it seems to be working ok, the problem with accessing pages is gone. Still it's for sure slower than normal, but I somehow still find it better than IE6. When loading multiple pages I start feeling the difference.

I think you're right about those toolbars. I don't know why I was having 2, I think I'll mostly install the google one to search easier when I'm not on the homepage.

My computer doesn't have that much resources for sure.
But I don't know exactly where I can see the CPU and RAM.
What I know I've seen in the logs from Deckard system scanner:

Total Physical Memory: 352 MiB (512 MiB recommended).
CPU 0: Unknown CPU Typ

Edited by Kristina, 28 May 2008 - 01:37 PM.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
I was also recommended to set all IE7 settings to default (from Internet options - advanced tab). After doing so the Internet seems to work slightly faster, but now all the toolbar with file, edit, tools is gone.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Judging by the RAM (352 MB) we know that at least one of the memory modules is 128 MB, which indicates to quite an old computer with Pentium 3 or early Pentium 4 CPU. These limited resources show up in the performance of the computer. I doubt if you can expect much more from your machine. If you prefer IE 7.0 leave it at that.

If you wish to speed-up the computer to a certain degree you may take the following actions:

1: Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Check Selective Mode and click the "startup" tab. Uncheck everything which is not essential. Leave only antimalware programs (if you change your mind latter you can reactivate those programs). Confirm and reboot. Upon rebooting a message will show up. Please check it and continue. For laptop users: do not uncheck items that clearly relate to the operation of the computer.

2: Download and install CCleaner. Do not install the Yahoo toolbar that comes packed with the program. In addition to items checked by default please check "Old Prefetch Data". Run the "cleaner" and "registry" options a number of times until nothing is left to be cleaned. Use the backup option (in "registry") when prompted to do so.

3: Run disk defragmantation. For this operation I use and recommend Auslogic Disk Defrag. Alternatively you can run Microsoft's defragmenter.