Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

static ip setup

• Please log in to reply

Sheila

Sheila

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I am trying to setup a static ip assigned to me by AT&T. The one that currently shows up as our ip is a 192.168.x.xxx number which is different than the one assigned....76.233.xxx.x.

I am required to setup a static ip in order for my store to access a particular program.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sheila
OP is XP professional

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Static IPs are assigned by the internet provider.
Your 192.168.x.x address is your connection between your computer and the router. This is irrelevant to the internet.
Your 76.233.x.x address is that between your router and your internet provider. If this figure changes every time you connect, you don't have static IP and you would need to contact AT&T.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
If you have a router, you need to set this IP up on the router and not on a computer. Please post if you have a router to the internet and someone will provide further instructions. Otherwise, if you change the IP on a computer, you'll lose network ability to the rest of the computers.

Sheila

Sheila

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have a "2wire" router. When I look up the IP on the internet it comes back as one in the series of IP's that were assigned to us, but not the one I need to use. It does not change on either computer when I restart IE but is a .1 number and AT&T says I can't choose a .7,.6 or .1 address but something else in the range they assigned.

Thanks for the help,
Sheila

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
You have a router, the router is where you need to set the static IP. Your computers need to maintain their 192.168.x.x IP addresses. You need to connect to the router - most likely through your web browser, and set the static IP in your router config. neither computer should display this IP, they should display 192.168.x.x. However, if it's set up properly in your router, if you point your browser to www.whatismyip.com from either computer, they should both display your 76.233.x.x IP address. If you need assistance setting the IP on your router, please post again with your router model. Good luck.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

You have a router, the router is where you need to set the static IP. Your computers need to maintain their 192.168.x.x IP addresses. You need to connect to the router - most likely through your web browser, and set the static IP in your router config. neither computer should display this IP, they should display 192.168.x.x. However, if it's set up properly in your router, if you point your browser to www.whatismyip.com from either computer, they should both display your 76.233.x.x IP address. If you need assistance setting the IP on your router, please post again with your router model. Good luck.

If you're on any computer going through a router, then it doesn't matter which one you use, sites like whatismyip.com will always report the IP address between the router and the provider. The 192 address is your internal address which will be different on each computer as you can't have two computers without the same IP address without causing a conflict.

Could the original poster please clarify whether they need a static IP address on the internet (ie the 76.233 address) or a fixed internal address between PC and router (the 192 address) and what exactly they want to do with this static address so that we can all sing from the same hymn sheet as it were :)

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

If you're on any computer going through a router, then it doesn't matter which one you use, sites like whatismyip.com will always report the IP address between the router and the provider. The 192 address is your internal address which will be different on each computer as you can't have two computers without the same IP address without causing a conflict.

I know, I think you missed the poster's original post. She needs an external IP.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

I know, I think you missed the poster's original post. She needs an external IP.

Which is an issue that will need to be taken up with AT&T because it would appear the provider isn't issuing a static IP but a dynamic one, or one of a few depending on what's been ordered. Which, with all due respect, was the first thing I said in my first response to this thread :)