Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1 more HiJackThis Log.../Smitfraud infection[RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hey, what do you know, it's clean now. LOL. Are you still getting problems though?

Make sure to get the latest updates for Windows and Internet Explorer at http://v5.windowsupd...t.aspx?ln=en-us.

Your log is clean.

To help prevent future spyware installations/infections, please read the Anti-Spyware Tutorial and use the tools provided.

Are there any problems now? If not, you should be set to go.

Advertisements

Poppapope

Poppapope

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes, it seems like everything's working properly except for Norton AV 2005. Sometime during the process of removing all the bad files/entries, viruses etc etc it just gave up on me; when I try to start NAV2005 it just won't update the status of the virus definitions, latest scans, subscription length etc...it just locks up :tazz: Sygate Personal Firewall hasn't been operational since this whole mess started either, but if I remember correctly Sygate PF hasn't been up and running since I installed NAV 2005. But maybe I should be posting this somewhere else...could there still be viruses screwing with my system?

I owe you bigtime. I'm gonna look into the whole donation thing, coz if anyhting's worth it - this is. I'll be spending a lot of time reading your hints & tricks in the future.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Not sure, but I guess we can answer that here for you :tazz:

It could be that they were corrupted during the infection. You can try reinstalling NAV and Sygate.

Personally, I recommend using Grisoft AVG (free) as your antivirus program and ZoneAlarm (also free) as your firewall. If you choose to use those two, uninstall Norton and Sygate. Both are free for personal use.

Any other problems/questions now?

Poppapope

Poppapope

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Actually I chose to uninstall NAV2005 and use AVG Free instead right after I read your last post. ;) Seems like it's less stressful on my system too! Sygate PF is messing w/ me at the moment and I tried ZoneAlarm once a long time ago and it completely dragged my system down since my comp is bordering on ancient (7 years old).

OK, I think I've taken up enough of your valuable knowledge and time. There are others who need help...tons of others from what I've seen. All hail the Grey Knight! :tazz:

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If your the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.