Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS and new HardDrive

• Please log in to reply

Khazrek

Khazrek

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok i have my PC the way i want it but for two things. i wanted to get a new OS http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832116204 Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM. also a new HDD http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136011 Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM. i know ill need to set the new HDD to the main HDD... and will it ask me to install the new OS? i can do that on a not so new PC with new parts and it wont give me any problems? and is there anything else i need to know? or am i good?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
New operating system on a new hard drive? i don't see any problems here. All the rest is just hardware. The only thing i would think about is the rest of the system needs to be pretty fast to run vista. also remember that the old hardware may fail somewhat sooner . Theres only so many hours of run time on any hardware.

SRX660

Khazrek

Khazrek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok quick question i need help! im trying to make my new driver into my main while keeping the old one as it is.... so i use the new driver as my main and my old as my 2nd how do i do that?

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Hello Khazrek

In order for your new drive to be the main drive out of the two, you have to set your new drive as the "master" drive and the old drive as the "slave" drive.

Here's a simple article informing you of what you need to do.

If you need any more help, some on on the tech staff will be able to help you out (as well as many other members.)