Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE issue

• Please log in to reply

ushank

ushank

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I have a dell dimension 4700 bought in dec 04 when I ordered I had a dvd r/w a single drive, but later I wanted to speed up the copying process and I added an additonal cd/dvd drive.

The instruction said to insert at slave jack and so I did, put back the shield everything is fine.

The Problem.
Eveytime I boot my machine the new ide or cd/dvdrom drive is recognized I have to go to the properties of my computer and click hardware and device manager and select the ide drives and scan for new addition to make that cd/dvd rom available.

Dell does not help me in this issue as I did not purchase the cd/dvd rom from them I was hoping some one would help to figure this out and if I missed any setting at the bios.

Thanks in advace as this might really be a boring posting but I'm desperate to fix this issue so pls anyone help me

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
first, a little more description....

inside the PC, your ide cables run from the motherboard to the drives.

Most motherboards have two ide ports, both can handle two devices.

What is connected to the first?
what is connected to the second?

When you boot your machine, does it seem to take a long time? can you see the drives being detected (you may have to enter bios and turn off the DELL splash screen.

ushank

ushank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
it does not take long time as its takes me around 5 sec to get to the login screen yes I do get the dell splash screen I did try to press f7 f8 f9 to get to the bios but was unsuccessful.

when I ordered my system I did have an option for additional drive so I just took that jack and inserted into my device.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
please , again
What is connected to the first "jack"?
what is connected to the second?

ushank

ushank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I see a flat wire which is comming out of mother board and its got two females I believe pardon me if I'm sound technically incorrect as I'm not a hardware guy, the first is inserted onto the cd dvd rom which I newly added and second one to the dvd r/w which came out of the box.

Now I can't determing which is first as I go from top to bottom the end of that wire seems to be at the top which is inserted into the dvd and the next one to the dvd rom.

I hope this helps.

thanks
ushank

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when you installed the new drive, did you set it up as a slave, master, or cable select?

What is the original drive setup as ?

ushank

ushank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I believe I set up as slave as the instruction said to insert the female jack into the rom drive and power cord for the drive.

I followed the instruction put back the screws and I booted up the machine.

thanks
ushank

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Posted Image

what about the little jumper? Did you set that? And, if so, did you check the original drive that was already on their?

Some are set to Master by default, some are set to cable select, some are set to single (though in most modern drives single and master are the same thing, but that was not true of a few bizarro drives)

ushank

ushank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm sorry I may sound lame in this regard as I opened the box and tried looking into the one which was in the pic as shown.

I was not sure if I have to pull the white plug to take a look at it because as in the pic the female goes into male and immediately towards the right side there is a white plug which I assume is power so pls advice it's okay to pull this take a look at it.

Again I'm not a hardware guy I'm a software so pls bare with me and thanks for ur assistance.

ushank

ushank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry it took me this long to answer, the new cd/dvd rom drive is dynex and the original one is philips dvd r/w I see that jack when I removed the shield but its not exactly as in the pic its on tht other side of the flat female wire.

I tried getting into bios and changing I noticed the drive 0 was turned on and drive 1 was turned off so I turned the drive 1 on but every time I booted up my machine I use to face the setup issue as the drive was not found so I went back to bios and turned off the drive one.

Let me ask this if I see that metal think in my new drive and I don't see it on the other what should I do and how should I be able to change this and get over this issue.

thanks in advance.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm not following you....

Let's try this again.

You have two fat gray ribbons connecting your motherboard to drives.

List the type and models connected to each

ushank

ushank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
sorry about that

let me list this out

1 flat cable from the mother board with two females the end of the flat cable is connecting the dvd drive.
the second one was free and I connected it to cd/dvd rom with the necessary power supply.

Hope this helps if not I shall take a pic of the exact setup and upload it.

thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

List the type and models connected to each

View Post

ushank

ushank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
As I said earlier I have one flat cable from the mother board and I have pic to show clearly and jut to avoid confusion.

The bottom is the new cd/dvd rom which I added and the top is the dvd/rw which came out of the box.

the cd/dvd rom model is dynex.
and the dvd/rw is phillips.

hope this helps

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg