Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP PC Constantly Freezes

• Please log in to reply

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I have a Toshiba p100-st9712 which will randomly lockup for about 60 seconds then it will release. I have tried following everything in the malware removal forum and replaced the 5400rpm hard drive with a 7200 rpm one. The computer is still locking up. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help. The pc's specs are listed below.

Operating System: Windows XP
Processor: Intel Core Duo T2400 1.83 GHz 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache
Mainboard: Intel 945PM
Memory: 1024MB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 - 256 MB
Hard Disk: 80GB 7200RPM SATA
Networking: Gigabit Ethernet 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX/1000BASE-T, Wireless LAN (802.11a/b/g)

Advertisements

Case Mods

Case Mods

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Did you did a complete virus scan?

Right now I am going to the same thing your going through. I usually reformat my PC once a month.

Set your Anti-Virus to do a scan on reboot and let it do a complete scan. and If you have any viruses, Delete them.

And then your computer should run faster.

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Unfortunately I have already tried a bunch of scans. I just realized that when I right click my wireless icon in the system tray and click the view available wireless networks then try to click "change preferred order of wireless networks" that the computer completely locks up and I have to restart it using the CTRL+ALT+DEL shutdown method. I don't know if this helps at all, but it is a real pain.

Thanks,
Tyler