Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500gb external HD problem/question

• Please log in to reply

flimsyspork

flimsyspork

• Pip
  • 5 posts
"For this review, CNET Labs tested a 750GB USB 2.0/eSATA/FireWire drive in USB mode. When writing a 10GB folder of mixed file types, it took the Seagate FreeAgent Pro 9 minutes, 46 seconds for a rate of 17.48MBps."

i'm trying to transfer over a 34gig folder and its going to take 40 minutes?
it took 3 minutes to transfer a 1.8gb folder.

The software that came with the external HD is that supposed to transfer whatever i want it to over to the it? from my understanding it's just auto backup software.
i just don't get why it's taking so long, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what.

thanks for your time.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Transfer rates are dependent on how fast the computer can send the data and whether its busy doing anything else on the drive at the same time. So if you're actively accessing files on the same drive the system is reading from, it will take a lot longer. Plus the Cnet figures are most likely under ideal conditions which you probably don't have if you have extra overheads such as anti-virus software and what not.

flimsyspork

flimsyspork

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Transfer rates are dependent on how fast the computer can send the data and whether its busy doing anything else on the drive at the same time. So if you're actively accessing files on the same drive the system is reading from, it will take a lot longer. Plus the Cnet figures are most likely under ideal conditions which you probably don't have if you have extra overheads such as anti-virus software and what not.

i figured out how to use the software that came with the HD to transfer stuff, but why would anti virus slow rates down? I also use AVG which is super small.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Virus scanners will be scanning the files on an on-demand basis. If you're copying the files, they're in demand so they get scanned and this is true of all virus scanners, otherwise it wouldn't be a very good virus scanner if it ignored everything you were doing :)

flimsyspork

flimsyspork

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
oh, right. Thanks! :)