Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Videocard or ram?

• Please log in to reply

luciapwns

luciapwns

• Pip
  • 8 posts
What is more important during video games, a graphics card or more ram? i think i'm having problems with a low rate of fps but all together the game is a bit laggy what is the most efficient way to do this?...By the way i have Notebook, Athlon X2 proessor, 1gb of ram and i think integrated ATI Radeon X1270 graphics card which hopefully is able be added on too.

O and does turning the resolution down to 800X600 help speed things up?

Thanks for the help

Edited by luciapwns, 29 May 2008 - 08:32 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Unfortunately, notebook computers are not upgradeable in the graphics department. :)

Turning the resolution down should help some, as should turning off any extra graphics settings from the in-game options menu. But by and large, notebooks are not the best choice for gaming.

And to actually answer your question - all things being equal, I would place a larger emphasis on the graphics card - as it processes the 3D data. But of course, RAM is important too! So it's kind of like a balancing act...

Cheers

Troy

sewildman50

sewildman50

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hmmmmm. This has me wondering...With the number of people purchasing laptops these days, why couldn't they manufacture an external and encased video card that you could then connect via an I/O PCI-express port at the back or side of the laptop. Of course, it would require that you not place the laptop, well, in your lap.

I stopped myself for a second there and did a search. They already have a USB to DVI external video card. The only thing I would question right now is it's ability to improve the video game experience. Possibly worth seeing what else is out there or where the technology is going at least.

http://sewelldirect....-Resolution.asp

Here's an article I found. Have you got 20 grand sitting around?

http://arstechnica.c...60802-7409.html

Edited by sewildman50, 30 May 2008 - 07:29 AM.

luciapwns

luciapwns

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thanks sewildman

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I agree with Troy here. To answer the main question, however, I would say that if your computer meets all minimum requirements for a game, the best way to improve performance or allow for more eye candy is to upgrade your graphics card.

Also, what sewildman50 linked to is not what you are looking for. It is simply a device which allows you to connect your laptop to a high-resolution external display. It will not affect the performance of your laptop in any way, and, as far as I know, there is no such device which can do so. It is not really a matter of technology here, but a matter of economics. The majority of people who buy notebook computers do so for work, not gaming. On the other hand, most gamers use desktops to play their games. So, it makes more business sense to only manufacture graphics cards for desktop computers.