Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wanting to build new need help with backing up

• Please log in to reply

psychocheesemaster

psychocheesemaster

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,

I am wanting to build a new computer, and I can worry about the asthetics on that later. However, I would like to know what to back up. Not just my music files, pics, movies, etc. Rather if I reformat my old system (after I have backed up all of the files I mentioned earlier) to put a different OS on it, and then I want to basically peel that OS and everything anew to the new comp, how do I go about doing this? What do I back up?

furthermore, would it just be easier to take the new OS and install it on the newly built comp, and then put all my backed up files on it?

I very much appreciate all your help,

-Cheese

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

furthermore, would it just be easier to take the new OS and install it on the newly built comp, and then put all my backed up files on it?

Hi there,

This is pretty much the best way to do it. That way, you have a fresh install on a fresh system. Then you can look at installing all your programs, and copying over your personal data.

Make sure you have copies of all of your data, including:
  • Pictures
  • Movies
  • Music
  • Documents
  • Application Installation Files
  • Emails