Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unintenional restart after hibernate or standby

• Please log in to reply

elderkin

elderkin

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I copied a disk image of my old computer onto my new Dell Inspiron 530. I got everything working fine (after getting all the right hardware drivers for my new system) except I've never been able to get the standby or hibernate features to work right. If I choose either mode when I shut down, the computer will restart after several seconds. The only way to get system to shut down is to choose shutdown option. This requires a much longer time to restart computer and requires me to reopen all windows each time I restart computer.

Can someone please recommend where to start on this problem? I ran HijackThis and didn't see any obviously offending files.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
You "imaged" your old hard drive on to your new machine, did this include the operating system?
If you imaged the old drivers to a new processor and motherboard you will have issues as they are not the correct drivers.
I do not believe this to be malware because the issue came after you did the image.
I believe that the problem lays here.
Do you have the technical ability to look for the best drivers for your new hardware (hard drive, motherboard, Quad core processor, Lan, Etc...)?
Please note your OS may not be able to use 4 processors.