Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update says I have a mac

• Please log in to reply

Robwat

Robwat

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
When I attempt to go to the Windows Update site, I get the following error page:

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

This website is designed to work with Microsoft Windows operating systems only.
To find updates for Microsoft products that are designed for Macintosh operating systems, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/.

I'm running Windows XP with IE7.

Please help

Rob

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this is a new one on me....probably why nobody replied to you...is this still happening...

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
here is some info...hope it helps

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817144

http://www.winhelpon.../articles/35/1/

Robwat

Robwat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I followed the link to http://www.winhelpon.../articles/35/1/ and as per instructions typed the following into Internet Explorer: java script:navigator.userAgent and the following was displayed -
Mozilla/4.0(compatible;MSIE6.0)
I then tried to follow the other instructions but failed miserably as I not very computer literate.
I am therefore still having the same problem and unable to access the windows update site.
I am not sure if it is relevant but when Apple itunes updated a couple of weeks ago I inadvertently also downloaded Safari which I later unistalled

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Robwat...

There are a number of things that can cause this issue...and several ways to approach it.

Try resetting the IE settings first. Open Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" on the toolbar, and choose "Internet Options". Click on the "Advanced" tab and then the "Reset" button at the bottom of the window. From the "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" window, click "Reset". Once IE completes restoring the settings, click on "Close", then "Ok" out of the other windows.

Restart IE and try the updates.

If no joy, we'll look at changing a registry setting or two...

wannabe1

Robwat

Robwat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,

I reset internet explorer and restarted computer but still no luck in accessing the windows update site.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll be editing two registry keys. One in the Machine hive and one in the User hive.

Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok".

In Registry Editor, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, then Internet Settings, right click on 5.0 and choose "Export"...name this file 5.0.M.old and save it to your desktop. Expand 5.0...then right click on User Agent and choose "Delete"...accept the change.

Collapse this hive by clicking the - sign next to each expanded key.

Then expand (click +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, then Internet Settings, right click on 5.0 and choose "Export"...name this file 5.0.U.old and save it to your desktop. Expand 5.0...then right click on User Agent and choose "Delete"...accept the change.

Collapse this hive by clicking the - sign next to each expanded key. Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Try Windows Update.

Robwat

Robwat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
It worked!! Thanks so much for sorting it out for me.
Do I need to do anything with the 2 files that I saved to my desktop?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great news!

You can delete the files you saved to the desktop...they're just backups of the keys we were editing.

Robwat

Robwat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
That's great,
Thanks again for all your help