Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with my friends PC

• Please log in to reply

kirad

kirad

• Pip
  • 2 posts
my friend has a Compact windows XP. he told me that he was on his computer. he was on firefox and sudenly the firefox links on pages didnt work. so he tryed on Internet Explorer. when he tries to go on the website, he gets hijacked to a [bleep] site. he exits out of that and he sees a window witch says to please select your country. he tryes to exit out of that but it dosent work. so he trys ctrl+alt=delete. a pop-up comes up and says: windows task manager has ben disabled by administrator. then he trys explorer. and the window goes white and a pop-up says: windows explorer not responding. end now? and he clicks end now. then the entire screen goes blank except his desktop with no icons. and every time he dose this, it shows a blank desktop.

i relly want to help my friend so can someone help?

Advertisements

zywex

zywex

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
wow...thats a doozy...

honestly, if you cant even get to the desktop i atleast wouldnt even know what to look for. definetly sounds like a virus got in though. id say give 866-pc-safety a call; its a virii/security/anti-malware hotline from microsoft (yes its free).

unless anyone else has any ideas? :tazz:

kirad

kirad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i asked him if he could do a system recovery and he said that he has relly valuable information on his PC and a system recovery would erase the files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
please visit the malware forum in my signature and read the directions at the top

use your computer to download hijackthis and all other programs in the CLICK HERE message, burn them to a cd, load them on your friends computer and follow the instructions in that link