Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer not starting up

• Please log in to reply

cheema

cheema

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
I built a computer a year ago and it has been working perfectly fine since. However, just recently it started doing something weird. It does not turn on. When I press the power button it turns on but makes a brief beep noise like something is powering up and then quickly down and then turns off. Then the light in the front starts to blink for a couple seconds and then goes off. How can i test what is wrong with the computer? I am also looking to get a new mobo and cpu, preferabbly quad core. I have a an antec tpII case, 550W power supply, 8800 GTX graphics card. If there is anything else you need to know please let me know. And thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds like power supply failure.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
now it doesn't even turn on for one second. When I turn on the power supply from the back it makes a very faint high pitch noise. How can I test to see if it is the power supply?

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I used my friends power supply and my computer turned on. I had his power supply outside the case and plugged only the 4 pin cpu connector and the other big connector to the mobo. I did not connect the gfx card or anything else. Even though the computer turned on, I heard a very loud high pitch noise coming from the psu. I immediately turned the power supply. Why was there a high pitch noise? Also, what new power supply do you recommend?

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I am looking at the following components: mobo , power supply , and cpu .

Let me know what you think. Also, I was wondering if there was a bundle with the cpu and mobo out there. I was searching for one but didn't find one that caught my eye. Thanks again.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

I used my friends power supply and my computer turned on. I had his power supply outside the case and plugged only the 4 pin cpu connector and the other big connector to the mobo. I did not connect the gfx card or anything else. Even though the computer turned on, I heard a very loud high pitch noise coming from the psu. I immediately turned the power supply. Why was there a high pitch noise? Also, what new power supply do you recommend?

If the squeal was coming from the PSU you've just borrowed and it didn't do that before, you basically either have dodgy electrics or a seriously damaged motherboard. Don't plug anything else into that board.

As well as what you've linked to, you may need some DDR2 memory as well. Plus the P31 chipset is a bit behind now, you may want to consider a P35 or an X38 chipset instead on the basis that if you're going to get that quad core, you may well pair it up with current day technology as opposed to what is effectively old hardware.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
How about this mobo

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
You could do worse, :)
Don't forget you will need DDR2 memory.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
yeah. I tried to steal my friends DDR2 memory and put my DDR memory into his slots. Then I realized that DDR and DDR2 have different slots :) Thx for the help Neil. I just want to say that I have found this forum very helpful. Starting from building the pc and continuing with maintaining it, geekstogo has always been there. I really appreciate it.