Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no usb port, problem with printer driver

• Please log in to reply

veryoldwoman

veryoldwoman

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have an 10 year old computer running on windows 98 and have dialup internet connection

Hi there, my problem started last week, I switched on and had a funny error message come up, I didn't know what to do so selected one of the options it gave me and it then started up fine. That was untill I wanted to use my printer, it then would not print and it said something like printer operator intervention
required. I thought it might be the software so i uninstalled the software and found my original driver cd and put it in. A picture message came up on screen with ticks against everything except it said a X against usb ports, which is where I plug my printer into. can I trick it into letting me load the driver somehow as I have 2 spare usb ports and I dont know why it is saying I have none. By the way as I have dialup internet I am unable to download the driver as it said it would take 48 hours!!!!!
thanks in anticipation of any help!

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Check the website for that printer.... usually with a usb printer you install the software and THEN plug in the printer....

veryoldwoman

veryoldwoman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your reply, what I was trying to say was that I was trying to load the software, but a windows message comes up saying that I do not have any usb's so It wont let me load the software, I think it must be the initial reason why the printer wouldnt work (I have had it for a couple of years) I want to know if I can trick windows into letting me load the software despite it saying i do not have a usb port

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
And I'm saying while you are installing it is the printer already plugged in? IF so you will have problems with the usb ports.... If not then check the device manager and see if your usb ports are listed... IF so try another usb device.... if they don't detect anything they might be blown.... And no you have to have the usb drivers for a usb printer the parallel drivers will not work...