Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Interesting Printer Question

• Please log in to reply

DARKATOM

DARKATOM

• Pip
  • 3 posts
To start off, let me give you some history... I have a Brother MFC-8440 printer (copies, faxes, scans to computer, allows computer to print and fax to whoever). The version of this printer can either go over parallel or USB. The printer works absolutely fine while doing everything on a local desktop. However, the computer it is hooked up to does a lot of work inside "Terminal Server". The OS on the local machine is Win XP-PRO (SP1), and the Terminal Server is running Win 2K.

The port that the printer driver was installed on is not one of the ports forworded by Terminal Server (TS for short) by default. I used the fix that allows DOT 3-4 ports to be forwarded (typically HP printers) by modifying the regestry which is supposed to forward ALL ports if I'm reading the fix correctly. Click here see the MS Support Page.

To force the printer driver to be placed on another port, I installed a Linksys Printserver (PSUS4) with 1x USB printer support and a 4x port switch. I then gave the Printserver a static IP address and then added the printer locally by adding a TCP printing port that links to the static IP. By doing this, I was still able for print and fax from the local machine; in terminal server I was now able to printer; but I lost the function that allows scanning to the computer from the MFC-printer. Apparently this function requires a USB hookup to the computer.

Well thats the history... now here is the question. Before I go out and spend the money on buying the parts, I am wondering if you guys think it is possible to place a USB hub right after the printer, then from the hub connecting to the computer on one USB cable and to the printserver on another USB cable. Do you think the printer will have a problem being split into 2 directions? The printer is typically only used by one person, so there shouldn't ever be a time where activity will be going over the printserver USB connection and the computer USB connection at the same time.

I thank you ahead of time for your opinions, I know this is not a common problem, but hopefully with you're guy's help we can find a solution to this unique problem.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I don't know if this answers your question entirely but I do know you can get a 4 port USB 2.0 switching hub that may do the trick.
This type of hub takes 2 computers (A+B) & provides connections for upto 4 usb devices. It is self powered & has a switch on it to allow you to swap between computer A and computer B.
It allegedly works with 2000 & XP Op systems.

Hope this helps?

DARKATOM

DARKATOM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That sounds like it would do the trick... do you have a model name or brand name of this USB hub you're thinking of?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I can do better than that....heres a link to a website selling them.

http://www.usbgear.c...G_Hub/#features

DARKATOM

DARKATOM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Wow... I do indeed think this will work. Thanks a ton Samm. In fact, I can think of a couple different uses for this new little hub.

After I get on in my hands and I try it out in this printer situation I'll let you guys know how it turns out... Thanks a ton.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome. Definately let us know how it goes.