Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some help! Few questions

• Please log in to reply

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Hi

I have a few questions because i dont know how to do this.

1. I replaced my hard drive with one from my other computer, now i find that there are 3 drives on it. C:\ D:\ and E:\

How do i merge those three into one drive?

2. I was downloading a very large program from a website (1.6gb file) through firefox, it was to be saved to my desktop, however, in the middle of the download, my internet suddenly crashed and i had to wait until it came back on, and to restart my computer. However, the file, which is an exe, is still on my desktop and i know its partially downloaded, however, even after multiple restarts, i cannot delete the file, because it keeps saying that it is in use with another program.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
If you open the control panel -> administrative tools -> Computer Management, under the storage section on the left you can go to disk management. This will show you the drives and what they correspond to. If you right click on the drive you have the ability to delete the ones that don't correspond to any real space on your computer. If you have information on them you could use a program such as Partition Magic by Symantec. In regards to the second one: I had the same problem. If you restart in safe mode (by tapping f8 while you boot up until you get a menu) then you may be able to delete the file. Let me know if this works?

Tyler

Edited by t-man, 01 June 2008 - 08:03 PM.

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
The safe mode fix didnt work :)

Any other suggestions?

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Here is a good website that explains step by step how to delete files such as those. It also has freeware programs to delete the files at the bottom of the page.
The link is below:
Web Link

Tyler

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Im not sure but for the first questions i think you have to format the drives to get it all in one partition, but if they are on different physical harddrives then i pretty sure you cant merge them in to one

SpuD

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
If they are on different physical hard drives then you would be correct in that you could not merge them. If they are all on the same hard drive then you can merge them with Partition Magic. I am not sure if you can delete the drive if it does not have a physical drive attached, but just shows the name of the drive. I had that issue on my old computer, but I never tried to get rid of the extra ones. It never caused a problem, but it was definitely annoying.

Tyler

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I don't know if you are still looking for help, but there is actually a tutorial on this website that tells you how to delete files like that. The link is here.

Tyler