Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows XP pro freezing.

• Please log in to reply

67_Gladiator

67_Gladiator

• Pip
  • 4 posts
well i have no idea why my computer freezes. sometimes it will do it right after startup and sometimes it will run for hours before freezing. so i watched the performance in the windows task manager screen and under normal use of the computer CPU usage jumps between 33 and 100%. and once it hits 100 it usually freezes to where i have to restart. and when the computer is at idle(me not toughing it just watching CPU performance) it sits at 2% but randomly jumps to 21%. Any ideas? forgot to mention i just reloaded windows. deleted the partiction created a new one thus formating the hard drive then loading XP pro. it never did this before. so i have no clue as to whats up.

Edited by 67_Gladiator, 02 June 2008 - 01:29 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi 67_Gladiator! Welcome to G2G!

What was the reason that you had to reformat and reinstall Windows to begin with? Also, when you reinstalled Windows, did you download and install the chipset (aka motherboard) and video card drivers from their respective manufacturer's website or are you using the default ones that XP installed? Also, please go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc and click OK. Are there any items listed that have a yellow ! or ? next to it?

Fenor

67_Gladiator

67_Gladiator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
reason for re-doing the hard drive was this computer used to be my parents and they gave it to me. so i wanted a fresh hard drive to run off of. plus it was infected with lots of spyware which is why they gave it to me in the first place. i ran the devmgmt.msc and no ! or ? came up. i did install the drivers for my geforce graphics card which solved my internet scrolling problems. and also installed the sound drivers for the motherboard.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
But did you install the chipset drivers for your motherboard? they are different than the audio drivers for your motherboard.

67_Gladiator

67_Gladiator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i believe so. heres the link from where i got the drivers. ive downloaded every one of them and still have the problem. ASRock Divers for P4AL-800

Edited by 67_Gladiator, 03 June 2008 - 02:46 PM.