Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"not a 32 bit application"

• Please log in to reply

Rontiara

Rontiara

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm running WinXP SP2 on two computers, and this problem happens on both of them, but not in a consistent manner.

When I double-click on certain files to open them, I get an error message saying something like, "not a 32-bit application." It happens even if it's an .exe file. Just recently I tried to run Smitfraudfix.exe and that happened. I had to use Smitrem instead. I was able to download and run the .exe file for installing AdAware on one computer, but the other one said it wasn't a 32-bit application. (Using Start>Run gets me the same error message.)

It also happens with files ending in .wpd, which the computer already "knows" are to be opened in WordPerfect. (I've gone into Folder Options and selected WordPerfect for the default program for .wpd files, but that doesn't help.) In the .wpd case, all I have to do is left click and select "Open With," then select the correct program, but the .exe problem has me stumped.

(For what it's worth, the two computers are not linked at all, and not part of a network of any kind; they're not even physically located in the same zip code.)

Thanks for your help!

Rontiara

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
could be spyware related issues. Try going through the spyware forum and see if that helps. if not, then come back to this thread.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.