Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failed Startup

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Hey,

After turning on my pc, left it for about 5 - 10 mins and it just stayed on a blank screen, The only thing i could do was hold down the button for 10 seconds to turn it off

I then rebooted it and it came up with startup repair, i left this running and it said its founds a problem but couldnt fix it and wnated me to do a system restore, which it couldnt for some reason

Then ran memory scan or diagnostic? which didnt do much either

I then rebooted again and have managed to log on allthough its much much slower than yesterday

Anybody no whats up?

is there a program anywere that does full hardware scans??

SpuD

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This sounds like it may be a hard drive problem.
Depending on the brand of the drive you can download diagnostic utilities from the appropriate site to test the drive. If it is on the way out, it will of course need replacing, otherwise Murphy's Law dictates that it'll fall over and die at the most inconvenient moment.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Well it shouldnt be dying ive only had this computer a few months, and it was brand new when i got it

But for the problem, everything works fine now, so thanks for your help anyway

SpuD

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Well it shouldnt be dying ive only had this computer a few months, and it was brand new when i got it

But for the problem, everything works fine now, so thanks for your help anyway

SpuD

Perhaps you can let us know what you did (if anything) to help future users with similar issues? It would be a great help.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Well, im not sure really, i ran a defrag and then restarted and it worked fine again

think it must just be a vista thing :) lol

SpuD