Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer really slow when restarted

• Please log in to reply

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I just built my computer about 2 months ago. About a month ago or so it started acting up. Everytime I restart it, it comes back up and is really slow. It doesn't ever speed up. I have to use system restore to the previous day's restore point in order for it to work right again. I hardly ever restart it or turn it off, but when I install updates or a new program it is required for it to work. So If anyone could help me or give me ideas on why it would be slow, please help. Thanks

Advertisements

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Just the windows updates. If i turn my computer off for the night or whatever and start it up the next day it is the same way too. Really slow.

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hey Civic,

You could have a few things going wrong here.

1) You can possibly have spyware/virus acting up on your computer. Since you are experiencing slow load times, you may have some form of a BSV (Boot Sector Virus). For this, I recommend that you install HiJackThis, produce the log, and paste it here

2) You may have some conflicting software/hardware. Just to make sure, double-check that you have only 1 antivirus program and 1 antispyare.

3) You may need to clean out your computer. Often, dust gets into the computer and eventually causes the system speed to decrease. Take a look inside the computer and make sure that, overall, it is dust-free.

Try some of these things, and let us know how it goes.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I have BitDefender Total Security and Spyware doctor, Would they interfef with each other? I will do a hijackthis log now.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hi there civiccrazy and welcome to geeks to go.

I would just like to add to ipods619 reply I noticed you said you had BitDefender however I would also like to point you in the direction of some other tools which will help you with your problems :) anti virus and anti spyware programs if these fail please read this post then please head to our malware removal forum which is here where one of our experts will help you.

Thanks