Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Find what is making computer run slow

• Please log in to reply

Darkness05

Darkness05

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am caught in a bit of a ditch here. Usually when a computer runs slow, I see it as too many programs running, or a virus. So, here is the senario:
I took it upon myself to repair my Mother's Dell Insparon Laptop while she is away so she stops whining about how slow it runs. So far, she has downloaded a bunch of "smily" ads and got herself some adware. Using Trend Micro, that problem was dealt with, but now a new one has come around. The computer is running slower than I have ever seen before. The strangest part is that there is plenty of Cpu usage (only 6 or 7 is being used at any given time) and the Page file isn't even one quarter to being full, yet I would click on My Computer, and Literally 5 minutes later it would pop up. Its as if the hard drive isn't even trying.
Solutions I've tried:
-Disk defrag: Made a little faster, but not much
-Better Anti-virus: I have Bit Defender on my compy, so I put it on hers because I like it a lot better than Trend Micro. (Already caught 1 more virus than Trend)
---The only problem is that the virus scan is also affected by the slowness and runs at 1 file every 3 seconds.
-Attempted Disk Clean up: Only got 5% before it froze.
-Stopped some processes: Using MSconfig and Task Mngr, I turned 75 processes into 50, only getting rid of the ones that are not needed to operate. All of the other running ones are around 5,000k or less, except Explorer.exe which is at 33,000k.
-Removed 10 unused programs.

After all of this, the computer still takes forever to move. I feel that there might be a bug in Explorer because it is the window operations that take the longest. Anyway, any help on the matter would be apreciated. I have had a Virus scan going on for 5 hours now, and it has only scanned 2000 files. If you need any other info, please ask or email. Thank you.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Darkness05...

Sounds more like a transfer mode problem to me.

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

wannabe1

Darkness05

Darkness05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello Darkness05...

Sounds more like a transfer mode problem to me.

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

wannabe1

Current Transfer mode for Device 0: Ultra DMA Mode 5
Current Transfer mode for Device 1: Not Applicable

Ok, anything else?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this for the Primary or Secondary channel?

Do you have only the one channel listed?

Darkness05

Darkness05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Is this for the Primary or Secondary channel?

Do you have only the one channel listed?

That was for the primary. If you need the secondary,here it is:

0: Ultra DMA mode 2
1: Not Applicable

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Well...it's not transfer modes, they are correctly set.

Let's run a memory diagnostic on it. Download the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and create the disk as described in the "Quick Start Information" on the download page.

Boot you machine to the Memory Diagnostic disk and let it run for a minimum of four complete passes. A failure in any test routine may indicate a faulty RAM module.

To stop the test, remove the disk and press the X key.

There's also a possibility of the HDD failing. Do you know what brand of HDD is installed or if you have onboard diagnostics you might run on the drive?

Do you have an XP installation cd available?