Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU/FSB/Clock Cycle/ memory address question

• Please log in to reply

realitytripz

realitytripz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all I am brand new here to these forums and looking for some good insight. I have just finshed my A+ training but unfortunately there is alot of details that were left out or not explained very well.

I know the effective FSB is going to be the base system clock X 4 (quad-pumped) in an intel processor P4 and above.

So if that means that the FSB can handle 4 data signals per clock cycle, I am trying to under stand how the data is flowing.

In a 32-bit system does that mean 32-bits of data are sent 4 separate times during a clock cycle? I understand 32-bits is going to be the bandwith of the bus, but I just can't seem to get it straight.

I know that when data is sent through its really just electrons moving through circuits. But when a data signal is sent is it only going to be 32-bits wide or is the amount of data the signal is carrying only 32-bits? For example, 1 lane in my PCI express can move 250MB/s. Is that 250MB/s broken up into 32 bit increments and sent until all of it has gone?

Also another question I have is with memory addressing. A CPU will read from or write to memory addresses. In a 32-bit system, I understand each memory address is 32-bits wide? and if you do 2 to the power of 32 you get that 4billion+ number. So is that 4 billion+ different addresses?

Please help anyone! I will be eternally grateful!

Advertisements