Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two computers have the same external IP address

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi,

I have 5 computers in my house in total, 1 laptop, 2 wireless computers, and two hooked up to my router. The problem is that I'm trying to have two different servers, one on one of the wireless ones and one on the hooked up ones, and the problem rises when I try to route my DNS to my computers. The two servers have the exact external IP but different internal IPs, (since I assigned them different ones). Also the laptop and the other wireless one also have the same IP.

This is driving me nuts and I was wondering, is there a way to change the external IPs of the computers so that they can each have different IPs?

Thanks in advance,

Soorena

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
you can't change the external address.
This is given by your ISP.

You can use NAT to route ports to the diffrent machines though.

Hope this awnsers the question.

Regards,
Olrik

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah you're going to want to use what's called PAT (close to NAT Artellos) which is Port Address Translation....

so if you're hosting two separate web servers from the two different machines then you would set one's web server to say...port 80 and the other's webserver to port 8080 then in your router you would use the PAT settings (depending on your router it's probably not called PAT) to translate everything that comes to your external ip on port 80 to go to server one and everything that goes to port 8080 to server two...of course this means that if you want someone to get to a site on server1 you just tell them your public ip (or if you've got a domain registered give them that) and they'd get to it...but if you want them to get to a site on server2 you'd need to tell them to put :8080 at the end of the url or ip you give them

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I'm sorry. I almost got it right.
I think it's called virtual servers on my router. (Correct me if I'm wrong :) )

Regards,
Olrik

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
hey soorena

what type of router do you have? If it is a linksys, netgear or d-link, chances are you will find what dsenette is describing under PORT forwarding. The only other thing you have to make sure to do if you are manually going to assign the addresses, is make sure they are all in the same scope. you only have 1 router so all your addresses have to be in the same sub net internally (I.E. 192.168.2.x)

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi guys sorry it took so long to reply, I've been busy, lol. Ok so I couldn't find what dsenette was refering to however I found a page that looks like this:

Posted Image

There is also this one which I'm not sure about:

Posted Image

Thats all that I could find which was useful and seemed to be relevant, however if you guys see anything I can gladly take another screenshot. And as you can see in the picture I have D-Link DI-524.

Thanks

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 07 June 2008 - 10:06 AM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
lol anyone?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Virtual server is the function you're going to use :)

I'm going to explain this really "loosly" so you can adjust it to how you want to have it.

We're going to assume Server1 is something people are going to access through the domain name "www.mydomain.com", the Private IP will be 192.168.1.2
Then Server2 is going to be the server that can be accessed through he domain name "www.mydomain.com:8080". the Private IP will be 192.168.1.3

Lets set them then.
For Server1, follow the following steps on the virual server page.
Enable: Yes
Name: Server1
Private IP: 192.168.1.2
Protocol Type: TCP
Private Port: 80
Public Port: 80
Schedule: Always

Now that's done, People can now access "www.mydomain.com" and get access to the web server on Server1
Now we're going to set Server2
Enable: Yes
Name: Server2
Private IP: 192.168.1.3
Protocol Type: TCP
Private Port: 80
Public Port: 8080
Schedule: Always

These settings will do what dsenette said. 1 Server accessible with the domain name, the other needs ":8080" behind it.
I hope this helps!

Regards,
Olrik

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Thanks for your help I tried what you said and it worked like a charm. The only thing is that I have two different addresses one is called soorena.ath.cx which is my family site and the other is sirjohnamacdonaldclubs.ath.cx which is the site I'm building for the school. I was just wondering is there a way to fix it so I don't have to enter sirjohnamacdonaldclubs.ath.cx:8080? Cause its the schools site and people often forget that little part. Right now here is what my setup looks like:

Server One:
IP = 192.168.0.136
HTTP = Private port 80 and Public port 80
DNS = soorena.ath.cx

Server Two:
IP = 192.168.0.134
HTTP = Private port 80 and Public port 8080
DNS = sirjohnamacdonaldclubs.ath.cx

None of them work at the moment because my servers are off and the DNS is wrong, lol. Anyways I hope there is a way to solve this or else I might have to buy another router.

Thanks

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 10 June 2008 - 12:20 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
You'll need to contact the company that manages the domain "sirjohnamacdonaldclubs.ath.cx" and let it 'link' to "sirjohnamacdonaldclubs.ath.cx:8080".

Regards,
Olrik